help on garlic please

• 2 Replies

jackieand glenn

help on garlic please
« on: August 15, 2011, 20:21 »
hi all, just been on ebay to see what else i can try for red mite, someone selling bag of crushed garlic. they say chickens skin will smell of garlic which keeps red mite off of chickens, anyone no if this is true and worth trying. im open to try anything as my poor girls are scrating, pail coombs and worried they will die.

bantam novice

Re: help on garlic please
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 21:00 »
Red mite are very tenacious ****ers and difficult to get rid of.  There is lots of advice if you type redmite into the search box in the top right hand corner. 
One recommendation is for a slurry/paste made from diatomaceous earth (DE) and a little detergent and disinfectant.  Once you have cleaned and disinfected your coop with poultry shield you paint this on the inside particularly in all the cracks and crevices where red mite lurk.  You may need to do this several times to prevent them from returning.  You need to double bag and burn any bedding that has redmite.  They can live in the ground without feeding for up to thirty weeks so try to move your coop if you can.  Good luck and keep us posted.  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

henamoured

• Experienced Member
Re: help on garlic please
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 21:30 »
Sorry, I don't think there is any substitute for cleaning the coop really thoroughly in to every crack and crevice. You can spray with a residual insecticide such as Ficam W(sp?), which should give some longer lasting protection (6 weeks or so?).

If your hens are really suffering and low you could also try bathing them in warm water+ mild soap, dry with towel and warm (not hot) hairdryer - depending on how many hens you have of course! (Another option is frontline spray or drops. But bear in mind the red mite do not live on the hens but in the coop.)

Garlic may have some deterrent affect, but I suspect if the infestation is severe enough to be adversely affecting the hens then it may have progressed too far for garlic to help much. Good luck and keep fighting the good fight - you'll win in the end! ;)

xx
Garlic

Started by FCG on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post June 28, 2008, 09:56
by Nats
xx
Garlic & AVC

Started by Fiona55 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 20, 2012, 17:57
by kegs
xx
Raw garlic

Started by Beano on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 16, 2013, 21:55
by orchardlady
xx
Garlic

Started by Chuckles on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 06:16
by karlooben

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 39 queries.