red mite please help

• 2 Replies

jackieand glenn

red mite please help
« on: August 15, 2011, 19:34 »
hi all, been reading on here for help with red mite. we have tried nearly all , they are not so bad but still there. could you help please. we are thinking of a smoke bomb, do they work and where would we get them. also very old gent next door that had chickens all his life said, liquid parafin, is it safe and will it work.
we have 2 houses both got red mite, one coop the chickens gone off lay and have pale coombs but other house laying everyday and seem ok, now idea on this???. also someone told me that chickens died through red mite, is this true , if so what can we do please. i love all my chooks and would hate to loose them. cheers

kegs

Re: red mite please help
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 19:42 »
The information on this thread might help you out, but I'm afraid I don't know about the  liquid parafin. 

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=82325.0

Helenaj

Re: red mite please help
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 19:54 »
I tried smoke bombs after losing two to red mite- it's okay for drawing them out of the cracks and crannies, but I found loads alive and well after using the fumer.
 There's an article in this months Practical Poultry from a lady who uses petroleum jelly on the ends and undersides of the perches and swears by its effectiveness to catch the ones that hatch after spraying. I'm currently fighting the good fight and do find that it catches a great deal - I've not found any on the perches since applying vaseline underneath. Next weekend is the grand "Spray-a-thon" when I start stage two!

xx
Ulti-mite red mite treatment

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 08:03
by ehs284
xx
Red Mite v Red Spider Mite

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 27, 2008, 20:03
by Miss Bean
xx
Is red mite the same as red spider mite?

Started by Carla on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 24, 2010, 14:47
by Carla
xx
red mite more help please

Started by jackieand glenn on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 18, 2011, 16:04
by JACDORE

Page created in 0.257 seconds with 37 queries.