sweetcorn

• 22 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: sweetcorn
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 22:39 »
Where did you get your seeds from?...........a different supplier (although I did have the same problem from 2 suppliers) may have 'clean' seed.
Fingers crossed yours are OK and I may go back to Incredible next year :)

monkeywobbler

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 22:57 »
I think they were Mr Fothergills from Homebase in Stamford. I may not need my packet of Swift next year. If these do well I might stick with them. I'll let you know how they turn out!

Salmo

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2011, 08:53 »
Swift are a supersweet variety and these have a reputation for poor germination of old seed.  So chit on kitchen paper next year to check on germination. If you look at supersweet seed they are shrivelled up with little grain.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2011, 09:44 »
Swift are a supersweet variety and these have a reputation for poor germination of old seed.  So chit on kitchen paper next year to check on germination. If you look at supersweet seed they are shrivelled up with little grain.

Totally agree - 50% germination after 1 year if you're lucky (mind you, this year "fresh" seed didn't do much better than that for me either, although in the past I've usually got close to 100% germination with this variety!)  :(

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

monkeywobbler

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2011, 10:32 »
I'm not going to bother with Swift then. I've read so many threads with people saying the germination is rubbish. I'm not going to faff about with germinating stuff on paper - I haven't got any room in my house for it.
That's why I'm so impressed with Incredible - 1 in a pot with some compost and no problems. If they do well I'll get more next year, otherwise I have seen some other cultivars hanging about in shops.

Salmo

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2011, 12:11 »
Swift is excellent germination. I had 34 plants from 36 seeds. It is just that if they, and other supersweet varieties, are kept over to the next year the germination can drop.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2011, 13:04 »
Swift is excellent germination. I had 34 plants from 36 seeds. It is just that if they, and other supersweet varieties, are kept over to the next year the germination can drop.

I can only speculate as to whether my "fresh" Swift seed bought this year was actually as described on the packet!  :unsure:

monkeywobbler

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2011, 14:07 »
I'll stick with what's worked for me, I think   :happy:

xx
sweetcorn

Started by Charl89 on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post April 22, 2012, 15:44
by Ian_A
xx
Sweetcorn

Started by Flying Cyril on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 13, 2007, 22:16
by shaun
xx
sweetcorn

Started by blackisgreen on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post October 27, 2009, 16:22
by tode
xx
How is your sweetcorn??

Started by Hampshire Hog on Grow Your Own

57 Replies
Last post August 15, 2012, 15:25
by Wellpotty1

Page created in 0.396 seconds with 40 queries.