Eye pecking Bully

• 4 Replies

Flossie

Eye pecking Bully
« on: September 17, 2010, 18:39 »
I got my first 4 hens on Saturday, they have all been happy in their run and house this week. Today Ivy (speckeldy) has been bullying Tulip (Rhode rock). Tulip's eye was closed earlier but is now open and looks clear but when they are in the run Ivy keeps pecking and pushing her. The other hens seem fine. I have let them into the garden this evening and there no bullying at all. Should I worry and seperate Tulip or is them just settling in?
Thanks for advice any one can offer.  ::)

rachelr

Re: Eye pecking Bully
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 18:48 »
they can get quite violent when they are deciding the pecking order. Just keep an eye :wub: on it so it does not get infected.

ps I have only been doing this for a few months so most of the information I have is from this site.

Goood luck

PaulineM

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 20:16 »
Do not seperate Tulip unless it gets really bad, like blood bad.
I almost give in myself 6 days into getting my girls as they were picking on the little banty, I felt like packing up the 3 big girls and taking them back to breeder! ::) but after that it settled and all are well settled now.  :D
Just make sure she has somewhere to hide, like buckets on theirs sides etc and if you can two food and water feeders so they can all get a chance to feed.
Keep an eye on Tulips eye tho!
Good Luck  :) :) :)
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

Flossie

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 21:09 »
Thank you for the advise, they were all much happier this evening having free run of the garden and there was no bullying. But at bed time Tulip decided she was happier on top of the house rather than in it, took some persuding to get her into bed, but all is quiet now.     :blush: :blush:

louiseb22

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 09:56 »
i been having the same prob with one of my girls getting pecked in the eye it did draw blood too!! very distressing!! the eye is getting better i sprayed her with anti peck spray and so far so good no more pecking but she does shy away from others quite a bit now. i bathed her  eye with sterile water but it looked infected the first time and after seeking advice from the breeder i got a mild antibiotic drop for conjunctivitis over the counter at boots..it got a few laughs when my other half explained it was for a chicken! but it did work on the infection.
good luck
1 Coral Nick, 1 Rhode Rock, 1 Light Sussex,  2 Speckledy, 1 Columbian blactail, 2 welsummer, 1 Columbine
and 18 ducks/drakes/ducklings mix xxx

xx
Bully

Started by Pertelotte on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 04, 2011, 14:46
by PaulineM
xx
A bully!!

Started by cbv8 on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post November 15, 2012, 21:04
by Libby
xx
Help with a bully!

Started by beki on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post March 16, 2008, 08:39
by muntjac
xx
bully hen

Started by groves on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 14, 2011, 10:53
by jhub

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 29 queries.