how to store spuds

• 1 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
how to store spuds
« on: February 08, 2011, 01:30 »
Spuds can't be warm or they'll shoot, so you can't store them in the house, but they can't get touched by frost either. When I bought a sack of spuds, I kept a few kilos in the house for use and put the rest in an old fridge in the garage (which is not frost proof), with the door very slightly ajar to let a touch of air in. The odd thing is they were fine all through the really foul weather and deep snow, which I know because I kept bringing a few kilos in every now and then. But in the last couple of frosts they suddenly picked up some frost damage, as I discovered when I cut into the last few I brought indoors.

So what on earth do I have to do to store them without damage? I much prefer to buy spuds by the sack, but it's not quite so cost effective when you end up chucking some away.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: how to store spuds
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 07:28 »
The storage method you describe in the old fridge even with the door ajar, might have allowed dampness to build up. They need to be kept well aired and, of course cool but not cold. Hessian sacks are better than paper and you can buy these. As an aside, where paper sacks of potatoes are bought by the pallet load and sold at work during the winter months, when the weather gets too near freezing they are kept under blankets in the warehouse. :) It seems to work!
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

xx
How do you store yours?

Started by suesowsseed on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

16 Replies
Last post May 14, 2013, 19:52
by RJR_38
xx
best way to store potatoes

Started by keemjay on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post September 11, 2007, 21:36
by Trillium
xx
best way to store / keep chillies?

Started by 3759allen on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

15 Replies
Last post November 27, 2014, 18:20
by 3759allen
xx
how best to store parsnips

Started by Grubbypaws on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

23 Replies
Last post February 01, 2013, 06:52
by Growster...

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 38 queries.