PLEASE HELP WITH PUMPKINS & BROCOLI!!!

• 1 Replies

HELP REQUIRED!!!

PLEASE HELP WITH PUMPKINS & BROCOLI!!!
« on: July 09, 2009, 18:42 »
Hi guys,
I am looking for a little help with a couple of bits!!! I have only had my allotment a few months but it is going really well so far, I have planted my pumpkins and have two or three large ones already (the size of melons!!), will they last until October time, does this seem about right for now (sorry if it's is a really silly question but I am completely new to all of this!! Also I am trying to grow them into giant pumpkins for my children for halloween, I have looked on a couple of sites but to be honest I dont understand the technical terms!!! Something about male and female flowers (whats the difference and how do you know) and also what exactly are the vines and what do i need to break off (please put the reply into thick peoples terms!!!)

Also my brocoli has formed already and has now flowered, this I have been told means that it has died, did it grow to early because of the heat, I sowed the seeds at the correct time???

Please help!! Sorry for the lack of knowledge!!!
COMPLETE GARDENING VIRGIN WANTING TO LEARN!!!!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: PLEASE HELP WITH PUMPKINS & BROCOLI!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 18:47 »
Hi there, Help Required

It's just about the start of the pumpkin harvesting season, look at this article
http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/general/sowing-harvest-vegetable-chart.php

I think - but am not sure - that if you want to grow a monster pumpkin it's best to only have one plant on the stem so that all the focus goes on that one.  Also regular feeding, although again I'm not sure what people recommend.

There is a search facility on these forums - click the link near the top of the page - and see what comes up.

As for broccoli, there's been quite a few recent posts about this.  It is probably just the weather, assuming you planted the plants firmly and have been watering them regularly.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Brocoli

Started by geddall on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post November 10, 2010, 06:33
by radiohead
xx
Cauliflowers like brocoli

Started by gedgemeister on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 28, 2012, 23:38
by GrannieAnnie
xx
havesting brocoli

Started by Thompson24 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 16, 2009, 22:35
by ssray
xx
withered coli and brocoli

Started by Thompson24 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 01, 2009, 10:50
by Thompson24

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 39 queries.