Sweet Corn

• 23 Replies

senrab_nhoj

• Experienced Member
Sweet Corn
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2008, 16:06 »
Quote from: "Ropster"
38 cobs off 9 plants, Thats good, What variety were they ?

4 or 5 cobs a plant... oooo do tell what variety
Grandpa's lore: The only thing grown early is disappointment

Bombers

Sweet Corn
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2008, 16:08 »
Quote from: "senrab_nhoj"

&/or what you fed 'em with!  :wink:
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

mother hen

• Experienced Member
Sweet Corn
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2008, 18:57 »
Been a lovely day today so I felled 12 corn on the cob plants we have eaten anything that resembled a cob, quite a range of shapes and sizes !  Daughter did comment on how good they were, but she meant her and her brother for not moaning not the corn!  :(

Think we didnt get enough sun, will try again next year and give them a bit more space.

They made the plot look good anyway :)
janet

gobs

Sweet Corn
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2008, 21:03 »
Quote from: "senrab_nhoj"

Babycorn. :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Mike.white

• Experienced Member
    • Mike White
Sweet Corn
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2008, 14:01 »
Quote from: "corynsboy"
Afternoon all.

I planted Sweetcorn this year to take up some space on my new huge plot.  I planted 36 plants in late May 2008 and they took off like rockets.  I felled the sweet corn forest in late September after cropping the better part of 100 cobs since mid August.  These were my favourite crop of the year.

I used a F1 variety that I had picked up in a B&Q sale.  I planted them in below my forest of tomatoes (also planted to take up space in my first year).  Based on the size and height of my corn I'd say that they benefited from the tomato feed that trickled down the gentle slope to the corn.  I will definitely be feeding my corn with an organic tomato feed next year.  I think I lucked out a bit this year with the feeding, it must have made up for the lack of sun to some extent. Some of the cobs that I harvested in September were a little unfinished at the top but they all tasted great.  I've frozen plenty for the winter but nothing beats them fresh off the plot.

Pictures on my blog.  Please feel free to visit the link is below.

That's a great blog!
For the latest on the BIG project, read my blog.

gingercharlie

Sweet Corn
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2008, 12:40 »
Quote from: "Mike.white"
Quote from: "corynsboy"
Afternoon all.

I planted Sweetcorn this year to take up some space on my new huge plot.  I planted 36 plants in late May 2008 and they took off like rockets.  I felled the sweet corn forest in late September after cropping the better part of 100 cobs since mid August.  These were my favourite crop of the year.

I used a F1 variety that I had picked up in a B&Q sale.  I planted them in below my forest of tomatoes (also planted to take up space in my first year).  Based on the size and height of my corn I'd say that they benefited from the tomato feed that trickled down the gentle slope to the corn.  I will definitely be feeding my corn with an organic tomato feed next year.  I think I lucked out a bit this year with the feeding, it must have made up for the lack of sun to some extent. Some of the cobs that I harvested in September were a little unfinished at the top but they all tasted great.  I've frozen plenty for the winter but nothing beats them fresh off the plot.

Pictures on my blog.  Please feel free to visit the link is below.

That's a great blog!

no not babycorn all good sized corns,never grew them before and as the variety i have no idea,it was just a f1 packet i got from wilkos.i grew them to 18 inches in the greenhouse before planting out,i never fed them at all just let them grow.

yummy

Sweet Corn
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2008, 13:18 »
Ours were brilliant last year, but this year it has been a load of pants tbh. Most are not pollinated properly, or are nowhere near ripe yet and the plants are dying off now. We have eaten about 3 cobs.

gobs

Sweet Corn
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2008, 16:08 »
Quote from: "gingercharlie"

no not babycorn all good sized corns,never grew them before and as the variety i have no idea,it was just a f1 packet i got from wilkos.i grew them to 18 inches in the greenhouse before planting out,i never fed them at all just let them grow.

Well, as far as I know, some open-pollinated varieties will produce 3-4 cobs. All hybrids, especially F1s were bred to produce one good sized cob and some 'prolific hybrids' to produce 1-2 cobs per plant, the reason being that these provide the best harvestable and marketable yields. That's not just machinery reasons, also due to pollination problems in many cobs and the more cobs the smaller the size nature of corn.

A lot of 'baby corn' is just corn suitable for growing on close spacing, these on close planting will produce 3-7 small cobs.

There are always the tillers, of course. Unless you counting these, it sounds a miracle. :shock:

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Sweet Corn
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2008, 17:05 »
well next year I've decided to grow mine in a poly tunnel just in case it rains as much as it has the last couple of years.

I only really got about 5 useable cobs off 24 plants so was quite disappointed  :(   The best thing though was just before I felled them last week I found a couple of cobs which, althouh each were only about 20% polinated, and cooked them on my little camping stove.  Yum Yum  :chef:

xx
Popping corn - sweet corn seeds.

Started by Anguswylie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 12, 2023, 09:21
by Snow
xx
sweet corn

Started by hammers07 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 17, 2008, 21:38
by gobs
xx
When to sow sweet corn?

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 13, 2011, 10:05
by prakash_mib
xx
sweet corn tip

Started by cooperman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 26, 2012, 12:10
by Chicken Pete

Page created in 0.42 seconds with 38 queries.