Carrot method.

• 8 Replies

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
Carrot method.
« on: August 27, 2020, 14:45 »
Is there a best thing to do with carrot that won't be used. I've read about pulling them and storing in sand, and also that you can leave them in the ground, covered by leaf mulch or other?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Carrot method.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 15:54 »
Yes, leave them in and cover with a straw mulch, or a decent quality fleece, and you can dig them through winter. Once it gets cold they won't get any bigger - but at least they'll stay fresh. Slugs can be a problem though..

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 16:13 »
why not pull them and put them in the freezer that's if you have a freezer we freeze our carrots of the allotments when we get a decent crop of carrots slice them in bags ready to use then if its raining or the ground gets sodden in the winter months you always have a supply  of carrots

you don't need straw or sand or be bothered with slug damage and when cooked they taste just the same I've even bought a bag of fresh horse carrots and prepared them for the freezer i have to say it took me the best part of a morning to prep them  :D

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 16:26 »
We are going to look at a used chest freezer tomorrow, and it's interesting once again on the different opinions of folks. I presume RW means just to wash them and slice without peeling, I would like to ask him if they should be virtually dry before freezing? Thanks to mumofstig again, I reckon the slugs might get them if it can be a problem in winter. Up until now I have managed without too much damage from them, but does the winter time make for more activity?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2020, 16:36 »
The slugs/snails like the cover of the mulch/fleece - I suppose that when farmers cover their carrots they'd also use a deterrent  of some kind?

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2020, 18:41 »
The slugs/snails like the cover of the mulch/fleece - I suppose that when farmers cover their carrots they'd also use a deterrent  of some kind?

I was told by an agricultural salesman, that this is the normal method for farmers, and in his experience, East Anglia seemed to be the place!

That way, they can release produce at the rate of purchase!

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2020, 10:14 »
Hi Russell how we do our carrots we wash them and scrape the skins slice them because the wife doesn't like rings then blanch them at boiling point  for three minuets for normal size carrots a little less for small ones cool them of in cold water bag and freeze

then bring the bag out in the winter months and add to a lovely stew and dumplings  :D or eat as a normal veg hope this helps and good luck with the carrots Russell

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2020, 10:39 »
Thanks RW, I have decided to give the blanching a try out.  I reckon it will only be about 4 to 6 kg of carrots, but they taste so good on a fresh pull that I can't come to terms with slugs eating them.

Kenilworth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2020, 15:45 »
I just leave mine in the ground with no covering, have done this for years without any noticeable slug damage. It has even spawned a family tradition where the kids pull a carrot or two on Christmas eve for Rudolph and friends..... :D

xx
Carrot fly planting now avoids carrot fly?

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 07, 2019, 06:52
by Pescador
xx
No-dig method - how do you do it?

Started by littlelisa on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 02, 2008, 10:58
by Salkeela
xx
Deep Bed Method

Started by Vienna Phil on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 22, 2008, 09:19
by Bombers
xx
Planting out into a No Dig method

Started by Tommy54321 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 24, 2020, 16:40
by AnneB

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 49 queries.