Lidl compost

• 28 Replies

Willow_Warren

Re: Lidl compost
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2017, 18:12 »
I bought some grow bags from homebase, meant to be 30L and something like £1.32.

Noticed my local place has Clover compost back in stock, 4 x 60L for £12, so I'll prob use that.  Works out a little bit more than the 125L from B&Q but has more advantages (they load car, lighter to carry through house, and with the closure of my closest B&Q the other place is nearer, smaller store, much quicker!)

Hannah :)

JimB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2017, 21:13 »
Up to a couple of years ago I used Wickes, then they went and destroyed it by putting woody rubbish in!

I never buy the cheapest compost, mid range, it is not a lot dearer, in the end and my seedlings and plants grow!

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 21:15 by JimB »
STOP, and smell the roses!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 21:19 »
I bought quite a bit of the Homebase one last year - that was OK.

If you have a gardening club card for Wyevale, they often do deals on compost for club members.  Its pretty good stuff.  You get the odd twiggy bit, but all my seeds this year are in it and are coming up with no problems  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2017, 21:27 »
Up to a couple of years ago I used Wickes, then they went and destroyed it by putting woody rubbish in!

Perhaps time to have another look? I've read good reviews about it this year  :)

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2017, 21:51 »

I never buy the cheapest compost, mid range, it is not a lot dearer, in the end and my seedlings and plants grow!

Hope this helps!
And  that what counts , if the seeds and plants don't grow , it's a false economy.

Have been looking back in the 'archives' and the Verve subject seems to arise each year ,variable quality which suggests you take your chance.

I'm sure most of us have our own particular favourites that we are happy with.
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2017, 08:23 »
if the seeds and plants don't grow , it's a false economy.

That's very true.  I do buy the cheaper brands for some stuff - filling builders buckets for growing greenhouse toms in and the like.  A bit of woody stuff doesn't bother them and they get fed regularly anyway.

Seeds and young plants - I'm a bit more picky.  You have to factor the cost of seed failures into your calculations.

JimB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2017, 20:05 »

Hi again,

when I said seedlings, I mean ones that have been transplanted.

For actual seed sowing I make up a mixture of very finely riddled pure Westland peat and washed river sand at 8 parts peat to 1 of sand, this works well for me!

3759allen

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2017, 20:28 »
has anyone tried the J Arthur Bower's Multi-Purpose from homebase? it looks to be a similar price to verve, wondering if it's any more consistent than verve.

blackberryjam

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2017, 22:16 »
When the to lidl today I was going to buy a bag of their 99p compost just to see what it was like ,but they have sold out.
The verve I brought looks OK ,it's now dug into the raised beds along with a bag of farm yard manure  looking good 🌱🐝🌻
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 22:18 by blackberryjam »

Barry C

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2017, 17:32 »
I used to swear by J Athur Bowers, but for the last few years a local nursery supplied Sinclair 75 litre bags of potting and bedding ( green bag ) good price and performed very well.

This year I got bags from our local allotment society, 80 litre bags, good price ( they get 2 or 3 pallets ) from Keith Singleton horticulture West Cumbria, very impressed with the product so far, nice open texture, seedlings coming on well.

Also use verve 125litre bales and rehydrated coir block mixture as well, going to grow tomatoes in that this year, lot of experiments going on in the garden this year  ;)

oldgrunge

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2017, 19:22 »
I also tried the Homebase stuff, about 4 years ago. Awful, and it had the consistency of mud. Just dug it into the garden.
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2017, 22:10 »
Mrs Tenhens asked me how much 'multi purpose' we had earlier today, so a visit to the garden centre is on the cards. Will probably head to our local rather than the retail outlet at the top of this thread. The staff are good and will put the bags in the car , and are usually able to answer any questions we may have. Don't mind paying a bit more  for good service.

snow white

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2017, 11:43 »
I can not carry more than 40l so it limits what I can buy.  I tend to buy the multi purpose from Cherry Lane Garden Centres as they do 5 bags for £10 and will load it into the car for me.  So all I have to do is unload the other end.  Not brilliant stuff but I use it more for a soil conditioner than anything else, although saying that, my peppers and tomatoes did really well last year in pots using it.  I mix it with vermiculite for seed sowing.  As I said, not the best but perfect for me.

Christine

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2017, 11:54 »
I used to swear by J Athur Bowers,
J Arthur Bowers has gone out of business and other suppliers took over the remnants of the firm last year.

xx
LIDL compost

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 05, 2019, 13:39
by Vagabond
xx
Lidl specials

Started by cawdor2001 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post November 05, 2008, 21:23
by robbobnbill
xx
I love Lidl

Started by purplebean on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 05, 2008, 09:17
by Ruth Cross
xx
Lidl Asparagas

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 27, 2009, 19:53
by Trillium

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 41 queries.