Advice on which plot to choose

• 10 Replies

Snoodle

Advice on which plot to choose
« on: March 06, 2017, 15:14 »
Hi,

I am just about to take on my first allotment plot and have a choice of two to choose from. I have experience growing but only on a small scale in the backyard so have a lot to learn.  I would appreciate advice on which of these plots to choose before I start.

Plot 1 - they think it has topsoil in it, but has a large (approx 1m x 5m, and 1m tall) overgrown compost heap to clear, and is a little smaller than plot 2.

Plot 2 - little information given, its a slightly bigger than plot 1, does not need clearing, but has had a fire on it.

I am leaning towards plot 2, the larger size and not needing clearing, although I am unsure about the soil and the fire. 

I would appreciate your input as I don't want to start and realise I should have chosen the other! Thank you for you advice in advance.

Plot 1 images:
and

Plot 2 images:
and

(Picture links edited to prevent other imgur images being visible.)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 17:17 by JayG »

victoria park

Re: Advice on which plot to choose
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 16:03 »
That's some compost heap on plot 1. I would be a bit worried about that as all that soil/spoil has almost certainly been skimmed off the top of the plot, and it seems an awful lot. It takes years for a topsoil to develop and become a fertile friend. Impossible to say just from the photos, but if I were to take plot 1, I personally would put that heap back onto the plot minus it's green wig for now, and then dig/rotovate/whatever. Hopefully much of the heap has rotted down somewhat. The comments re the "topsoil" are also a bit concerning.

As for previous fires, they are not a problem one way or the other in your initial decision, I wouldn't have thought.
2 looks like less logistical heartache, and a safer bet.
Mind you, plot 2 also has a fairly large compost tip that needs to be pulled back on the plot, less the couch /big roots etc.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 16:19 by victoria park »

m1ckz

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 16:55 »
plot 2 for me

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 21:06 »
Yes, defo Plot 2

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 21:40 »
Who would strip good topsoil from a plot? Nobody!

There's absolutely no reason, (except to try and eradicate couch and stuff like that, but that takes hard work) so, try and ask who the previous tenant was, and if he or she was elderly, then perhaps, they just chucked all the compostibles on the Plot 1 heap as it was an easier option for them!

I'd look seriously at Plot one, as the greenery on the top is just a scrape off with maybe a bit of couch and a few big weeds built in, but when you return the good stuff to the rest of the plot, you'll be digging it all out anyway, so you can sort out the nice stuff from the nasty stuff!

In fact, thinking further, I'd go for the first one definitely. There are signs of individual beds, so it wasn't just a place to chuck veg down, but a thoughtful allotment, with a burning bin as well - always a good sign. You really need to find out more from the others down there, and they'll probably give you several stories, but you're clever enough to know who is right - aren't you!

Best of luck and good wishes; take Plot 1, take out the heap, and you'll be quids in, but be prepared to have a largish job on your hands - like we all have here..;0)

Snoodle

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 22:56 »
Thank you all for your advice. I was planing to make the call in the morning to take on plot 2... Until you came along Growster!
Will see if I can do some more research, the guy showing me around told me he knew little about the plots but I'll ask if his colleagues know any more and see if they'll let me take another viewing to try speak to the neighbours.
Just adding that the burning bin is in the lot next door.

Thanks again for your input everyone

stompy

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 07:18 »
Compost heap on plot 1 may not be just compost!
On our old site several plots had "compost" heaps, full of wood, metal, plastic, carpets, etc.
You may be inheriting a skips worth of heap.

I would personally go for plot 2.

Other thing to think about is which if any gets more sun as that can't be added and which if any dries out quicker or floods less.

Happy growing no matter which you choose, you'll get there with hard work and enjoyment.

Andy

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 10:30 »
The compost pile on plot 1 may not be too much of an issue if you're going for raised beds. It may be lovely compost under there...if it is, I'd put in some raised beds, rotovate the beds and top up with the compost. You'll probably have to do a fair bit of weeding in the first couple of years but it would allow you to make good progress quickly.

If it's a pile of old dodo hidden by turf, it's going to be a pita to shift.

I'd see if you can have a poke around at that compost heap and see what's there.

The points about sunlight, potential light blocks (neighbouring trees, sheds etc) and flooding would be worth taking into account.

Also look at if there are hose points and take a look at the rules for each site. Also look at security...it's not much fun growing a load of stuff if it gets regularly nicked by the locals!!

I think they look pretty even to be honest.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 10:31 by TheWhiteRabbit »

harry

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 11:21 »
If it was me I'd take plot 2 you don't know whats under that compost heap  ::) :wacko:
Hurray finally retired
two plots now 31A and 35A

AnneB

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 23:06 »
A couple of things to investigate.  Weeds.  On our site,  at the top of the site you will be presented with horsetail, at the bottom you get bindweed.  Take your pick!  If one of the plots on offer has a perennial weed that the other one doesn't, avoid the one with the weed.

Drainage.   Only likely to be a problem if you are on a clay soil, but drainage varies a lot from plot to plot.  We have two plots next to each other and one is much worse than another.  Unless there is a pond sitting there you may have to rely on talking to existing plot holders to find out if either plot has a problem.

Rubbish - does the plot contain old carpet, glass, bricks, various other undesirable contents?

Is one nearer the gate (easier access); nearer a water tap (if water is provided); on the level; shaded (or not) by other buildings or structures; all to consider.

If none of these issues apply, I would try and see if the compost heap is really compost or assorted rubbish.  If it is really compost,  I would take that plot.  If it is a large pile of old rubbish, take the other.

whitehill1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 09:42 »
I would always prefer compost heap. They might have removed the weedy top layer and added lot of top soil and compost. The other I have taken with less weeds and couch dint resulted as better plot than my overgrown, full of couch roots plot

xx
What veggies to choose for my new plot?

Started by chippie295 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 08, 2008, 00:58
by chippie295
xx
Plot clearing advice. Opinions and advice valued.

Started by Devondumpling on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2017, 19:54
by snowdrops
xx
my plot - new growers plot thanks to advice from you all

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 19:23
by brucesgirl
xx
Help me choose my first raised bed

Started by Munchkin on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 24, 2010, 16:19
by Munchkin

Page created in 0.424 seconds with 33 queries.