Escapologist chicken

• 3 Replies

debih

• Experienced Member
Escapologist chicken
« on: December 22, 2011, 16:59 »
One of my chickens has now escaped twice from their run.  Both times it has been getting dark when I have found her and have just picked her up and put her back in the run so she could hop into her bed.  Once out she doesnt seem to be able to get back in on her own so I assume she has only escaped the two times.

But I don't want her getting out as there are far too many places for her to get lost!  Particularly over the next few days when I know we will be coming home after dark and I want them all tucked up in their house safely before I get home to shut their door - I am worried that if she gets out I won't be able to find her in the dark.

I can't see anywhere where she could be getting out so am wondering if she is flying out.   

So my question is - how often should I be clipping their wings. 

We got the four of them back in March and clipped their wings then but haven't done so since.  They have moulted very slightly quite recently - they don't look like they moulted, it was just the amount of feathers in their coop that made me realise they were moulting.

I always find that work gets in the way of life.

Tony H

• Experienced Member
Re: Escapologist chicken
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 19:04 »
Hi you only need to clip one wing, this puts them off balance when they flap so they dont feel safe i only have a 2 1/2 foot picket fence to keep my girls in but they dont bother trying to fly over  :blink: if you clip both wing they will still be able to get lift of :lol: you should only need to clip after a molt or if the main fethers grow  :)
Chicken crazy

debih

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 20:15 »
Thanks - we shall take a look at them all tomorrow morning and get clipping. 

I can't see any other way of how else she is getting out, other than flying out.

debih

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 08:51 »
Have just been to look at her and her wing is still clipped.

So on closer inspection we find that she has tunnelled out!!!  A very small hole in a sloped corner of the enclosure and it looks like she has been squeezing through it.

So we are changing her name from Fluffy to Danny The Tunnel King (aka Charles Bronson).

De de de der de de derrrrr

xx
Escapologist Chick

Started by PhilDotte on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 04, 2011, 22:59
by PhilDotte
xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
New \chicken

Started by redjane11 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 20, 2010, 01:14
by hillfooter
xx
chicken set up

Started by bevwar on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 22, 2011, 12:55
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 37 queries.