GREEN MANURING

• 12 Replies

muntjac

GREEN MANURING
« on: August 05, 2007, 09:18 »
green manuring is an old and trusted method of giving the soil a feed later in the year you can dig it in in winter or spring.why am i telling you this cos i just got my quote for my mustard seed from the so caled merchant £3.50 for 100 gms  now thye come in small packs like that but that amount covers a good 36sq yards,.so not very expensive you say but when the price was only £2 last season then a hike like thats a bit of a liberty i buy  a kilo at a time to do all the plots i am running this now of course has to cover the new garden i took on during the year for the old couple in my block..on checking T& MS its only £2 from them so im telling my supplier to bogoff . for thos of you with clubroot and any other soilbugs n baddies using mustard can combat it ,,,,,,,,YOU MUST INCLUDE IT IN YOUR BRASSICA ROTATION PLAN .ok moan over :D
 incidently you dont have to use mustard thier are loads of other plants can do this job even barley if you want to go cheap £3 a 4 stone sack will do 2 plots no probs  sow in the autumn n dig it in in spring :wink:
still alive /............

slow_worm

• Experienced Member
GREEN MANURING
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 15:47 »
Thanks Munty - I shall take you advice on that, recall green manuring from my ag college days and was excellent way of putting stuff back in soil whilst keeping it in a 'used' state
There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature? the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after winter. -   Rachel Carson

ACatCalledElvis

GREEN MANURING
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 16:34 »
I use it on the lotty - but you have to remember to treat like any other crop - weed it and look after it - cos most you have to cut/dig in - and you dont wanna be digging weeds in as well!! (especially bindwweed in my case).
Be Reasonable Demand the Impossible

Organic as much as my plot neighbours allow

shaun

GREEN MANURING
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 19:02 »
what do you think about winter tares ? i tried mustard a couple of years back and it was rubbish.
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

muntjac

GREEN MANURING
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 23:04 »
tares are ok , anything will do even stubble turnips can be used

jacnal

• http://jacnal.blogspot.com/
GREEN MANURING
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 10:03 »
Apparently mustard being a brassica is susceptible to clubroot too Munty. I'm just guessing but wouldn't it be a better idea to use something else on your brassica patch to combat any potential or even actual clubroot problem  :? ?
Jac

Trying organic gardening. Hoping to stick to it.

muntjac

GREEN MANURING
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 10:09 »
when it attacks the mustard and is then dug in it is getting hammered the virus dies or something like that i always lime heavily as well  you can try other things that are not brassica relations tho :wink:

WG.

GREEN MANURING
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 11:49 »
I'm going to go with jacnal on this one, sorry - if I had any clubroot, I wouldn't be planting mustard.  

Fenugreek is a good one (very fast growing, edible when young, or can be dried for Methi).  It is killed off by the first few frosts and so doesn't need to be dug in (so technically is a ground cover & not a green manure).  The roots give a nice soil structure too.

In general I don't green manure since my season is much shorter.  I prefer brown manuring! http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?p=41198#41198

muntjac

GREEN MANURING
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 21:25 »
as for mustard and green manuring i dont have clubroot so its ok to use  but if you do have it dont use .aplogises for mistake .... see im not perfick just handsome n sexy .2 / 3 cant be bad tho

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
GREEN MANURING
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 21:31 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
as for mustard and green manuring i dont have clubroot so its ok to use  but if you do have it dont use .aplogises for mistake .... see im not perfick just handsome n sexy .2 / 3 cant be bad tho

:lol:  :roll:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Scribbler

GREEN MANURING
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 22:31 »
This cropped up before somewhere else. Examples can include annual lupins, winter tares, late red clover, grazing rye and mustard.
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

WG.

GREEN MANURING
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 23:17 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
handsome n sexy
 :wink:

WG.

GREEN MANURING
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 23:43 »
Quote from: "Scribbler"
This cropped up before somewhere else. Examples can include annual lupins, winter tares, late red clover, grazing rye and mustard.
Link given above.

xx
Green manuring for next year's potato bed

Started by kirpi on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 18, 2014, 07:06
by kirpi
xx
Manuring...?

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post May 31, 2011, 18:34
by Kristen
xx
manuring

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 21, 2014, 21:55
by mumofstig
xx
Manuring how often?

Started by greenhead on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 06, 2016, 12:31
by greenhead

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 39 queries.