Manuring for next year

• 16 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Manuring for next year
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2010, 15:48 »
Binner will no doubt correct me if necessary when next on-line, but I believe he meant that growmore is a source of plants nutrients, whereas manure and compost improve the structure of the soil (and also provide some nutrients)

Nitrogen-rich fertlisers boost leafy plants (as in the grassland and cereal crops you have noted) but most vegetables need something more balanced.

Of the two you mention, growmore has an equal proportion of the 3 main essential nutrients (NPK) whereas Miracle Grow is relatively high in nitrogen.

Manure may be enough if your soil is relatively heavy and water-rententive already; light soils lose their nutrients quickly and in my experience need additional feeding.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

binner

• Experienced Member
Re: Manuring for next year
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2010, 18:16 »
Binner will no doubt correct me if necessary when next on-line, but I believe he meant that growmore is a source of plants nutrients, whereas manure and compost improve the structure of the soil (and also provide some nutrients)

Nitrogen-rich fertlisers boost leafy plants (as in the grassland and cereal crops you have noted) but most vegetables need something more balanced.

Of the two you mention, growmore has an equal proportion of the 3 main essential nutrients (NPK) whereas Miracle Grow is relatively high in nitrogen.

Manure may be enough if your soil is relatively heavy and water-rententive already; light soils lose their nutrients quickly and in my experience need additional feeding.

exactly what i ment, you will benefit giving them some growmore this year atleast as some of the nutrients will be locked up in the clay, i found that the brassicas crops were not getting enough magnesium on freshly dug ground but on the bed that had been grown on last year and had had two lots of manure dug in, they were fine. the manure will help free them up in time, but then they will get quickly used up as you grow crops so a good sprinkle each year when you plant will do them the world of good,
first year grower

xx
can i get away without manuring potatoes this year??

Started by rachelsco on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 11, 2013, 18:58
by Ivor Backache
xx
Green manuring for next year's potato bed

Started by kirpi on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 18, 2014, 07:06
by kirpi
xx
Manuring...?

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post May 31, 2011, 18:34
by Kristen
xx
Manuring how often?

Started by greenhead on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 06, 2016, 12:31
by greenhead

Page created in 0.375 seconds with 39 queries.