growing onions - planting distance

• 5 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
growing onions - planting distance
« on: January 21, 2022, 11:04 »
Pottering around on t'internet this morning, looking at everything onions, and found this
Plant populations: 50-60 plants per square metre.
https://rixfarms.co.uk/rix-farms-produce/onions/
Which seems an awful lot of onions in a smallish space, to me  :unsure: Perhaps I've always given mine much more space than they actually need  ::)
So how close do you plant your onion sets or seedlings?

rowlandwells

Re: growing onions - planting distance
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 12:11 »
well Mum if you read my latest reply on onion sets you will see that I'm going to try the Bi-Degradable mulch film method now I'm not suggesting everyone and his dog should try this method but it will be interesting to see using this method and given that we can plant closer settings how the onions turn out at the end of the growing season

but I suspect like you we have planted our onions at quite a distance to make it easier for weeding because we found the weeds usually grow faster than the onions and i usually get my wife to weed the onions because its a job I hate doing and there comes a time when the onions get bigger you do more damage weeding and we just leave them weeds and all till we pull  them

so my rule of thumb is about a six inch plantings and going back in years when  onion crops where in the fields and where weeded by hoeing  gangs in the  field what a labour intensive job that must have been
and a job I would hate to do I used to hate hoeing potatoes on the farm I worked on when I left school boy it was lovely when they invented a potato weeding machine :D

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 12:18 »
I usually plant 5- 6 “ apart, & then I stagger the next row to plant in the gap of the plantings, but if they’re from seed I sow 4 or 5 seeds to a module & then plant in the clump as it were for kitchen onions. If I’m growing ‘show’ onions I plant much further apart of course. For kitchen onions I don’t mind them smaller, I just peel 2  :D
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

steven c

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 14:31 »
4 inches apart 6 inch between rows [tried the multi sowing idea thought they too small] mainly ailsa craig from seed.
from bow like to grow

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 17:11 »
30cm apart and I multisow, so 4 to 6 onions per position. So that's  about as many as I get. It is a great technique  for medium sized onions and you can thin excess seedlings as spring onions as they grow

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2022, 19:54 »
I do a hand spread distance between plants and rows, which I thought was 6 inch spacing, but I have just measured properly with a tape measure and I am actually giving 7 inch spacing  ???

Anyway, they do fine with that, even the big onions  :lol:

xx
Planting distance for toms

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 23, 2015, 13:57
by Goosegirl
xx
French beans; planting distance

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 06, 2010, 19:03
by spiderlyn
xx
Fruit trees- planting distance etc

Started by Shamps on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 07:25
by courgette
xx
Does anyone have experience growing multiplier onions? A.K.A. potato onions?

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 02, 2020, 21:36
by Subversive_plot

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 43 queries.