Potatoes in containers on the plot

• 10 Replies

comfreykid

• Experienced Member
Potatoes in containers on the plot
« on: January 17, 2022, 22:39 »
I’ve seen a few you tube videos on growing spuds in 30ltr plastic buckets on beds. The yields seem to be greater than the traditional rows. Has anyone tried it, and is keeping the compost in the buckets moist a problem ?.  :)

AndyRVTR

Re: Potatoes in containers on the plot
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 07:20 »
I tried growing 1st earlies in 15ltr pots last year and had great results, the compost does dry out if left for too long, but I just watered them when the top inch or so was dry. I did add some vermiculite to the mix before planting so that might of had something to do with holding onto moisture longer.
I've not tried growing maincrop as the pots would be too small but I've seen plenty of videos where people have grown maincrop successfully, so I can't see any reason why that wouldnt work for you.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 11:23 by AndyRVTR »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 08:57 »
Yes, I use the 30-40L buckets, make some big holes in the bottom, and bury the bottom inch or so into the soil. It helps the roots grow out to find moisture from the soil underneath; whilst still insuring you find all the tubers when you harvest them. They do still need watering if the weather is hot and dry, though.
It keeps beds clean from those annoying potato plants that pop up where you don't want them  :lol: Also all the compost/manure you use in the pots, finally improves your soil as you add it.
I know the compost seems like an extra expense, but for ease of harvest and the soil improvement on the plot - I think it is worth it.

steven c

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 09:05 »
for several years we have grown in large tree tubs 55-70 litre  3 or 4 per tub with varying success the biggest plus point for us is the ease of getting them out and the resulting compost [we use about half home made compost and half well rotted manure] last year desiree were good still using them now this year we are trying
cara just been delivered 20kg between 5 [the tree tubs came from a tree importer for a donation to help for heroes] . good luck with it all.
from bow like to grow

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2022, 09:22 »
You won't get more crop from a 'determinate' potato but the extra attention to earthing up in pots might lead to 'very indeterminate' yields being better.  Drying out is a problem, cutting the bottom off pots and partially sinking the bottoms in a bed appears to be a thing that would help.  I grow in 50L pots, 3 seeds to a pot and do ok although I've found some varieties like Mira a problem as the haulms got too big and frequently broke.

comfreykid

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2022, 22:21 »
Thanks all for your replies , lots of useful info ! .
I would have planted one seed per tub , on the basis that l plant 30cm apart in rows 60 cm apart in the beds.
I love the idea of not having volunteers popping up in the “cleared “ spud beds ! .  :)

bazial

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 14:38 »
I have just emptied a 30 ltr tub weight 11.2 lbs all perfect condition ,4 tubs left all covered to keep dry on allotment these were Charlotte .
bazial

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2022, 13:09 »
Hello
Lettice posted on these pages  back in 2016 "    Maincrop in ground or bags? It is now bags for Me " . You may find it usefull.

I have grown Charlottes in potato growing bags for the last few years , the bags came from JBA , I think , I have also tried the ones from Wilko and bought similar type from ebay which are not as robust , the handles are questionable.

I have also used 5 gallon water containers which I cut the top off which worked quite well.
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

comfreykid

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2022, 22:17 »
Hello
Lettice posted on these pages  back in 2016 "    Maincrop in ground or bags? It is now bags for Me " . You may find it usefull.

I have grown Charlottes in potato growing bags for the last few years , the bags came from JBA , I think , I have also tried the ones from Wilko and bought similar type from ebay which are not as robust , the handles are questionable.

I have also used 5 gallon water containers which I cut the top off which worked quite well.

Thanks for the above , I’ve just read the thread , very interesting, lots of good stuff there.  :)

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2022, 11:35 »
One of the advantages of growing in containers or bags is there is less chance of any being missed when you harvest , I tip mine into a wheel barrow and sift through and then check again when I empty the barrow. 

The end product beats anything the supermarkets have to offer .

You will need a good supply of water particularly in warm weather , during one of my previous years I emptied one of those IBC water cubes and started to do a rain dance !! I had 30 bags which required quite a lot of water.

Pimento

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2022, 10:02 »
I gave up growing in the ground years ago due to slugs, and have always had great success growing in large tree tubs, four or five tubers to a tub.  Sit them on soil and pull the earth up around the base of the tub so they can absorb maximum moisture - it helps. Use a good compost and add plenty of manure to help retain moisture. You should get a lovely crop! Obviously not the same volume as growing in the ground, but with the advantage that they’re much less likely to be damaged. Good luck!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 10:09 by Pimento »
I don't really look like my avatar.

xx
potatoes in containers

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 17, 2011, 07:18
by Kristen
question
Potatoes in Containers

Started by green gloves on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 03, 2020, 17:12
by green gloves
xx
Potatoes in containers

Started by engineer on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 24, 2017, 17:47
by JMCKG
xx
growing potatoes in containers

Started by philskin on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 27, 2008, 18:22
by philskin

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 51 queries.