winter squash recommendations

• 25 Replies

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: winter squash recommendations
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 22:33 »
I've just bought some new things from the U of S of A - 5 new squashes for next season! yay! white boer pumpkin or noob taub squash anyone?  :D

bravemurphy

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2014, 22:40 »
I've just bought some new things from the U of S of A - 5 new squashes for next season! yay! white boer pumpkin or noob taub squash anyone?  :D

Yes please  :D

surbie100

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2014, 10:11 »

You may have to wait for next year's seed circle - if people want to do it again.  ;)

bravemurphy

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2014, 17:03 »
Yes I will have a look at that.

In the mean time I made an order from there too  :D

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2014, 07:54 »
I grew 3 new types, but for me Queensland Blue everytime- however you need a big family and an angle grinder to do them justice.  Dense flesh (like butternut), doesn't go mushy.  and a beautiful classy steely grey colour.  None of that tarty orange  :D

cadalot

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2014, 08:50 »

You may have to wait for next year's seed circle - if people want to do it again.  ;)
OH Yes - If I knew you could grow squash over winter I would have given it a go - Brother in law gave us a peanut squash to try last night as we have never tasted squash before 

edit to fix quote
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 20:32 by Yorkie »

surbie100

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2014, 10:13 »

OH Yes - If I knew you could grow squash over winter I would have given it a go - Brother in law gave us a peanut squash to try last night as we have never tasted squash before 

You can't - it's a bit misleading isn't it? Winter squash are the ones you can store in a cool room over winter and though you can eat them straightaway, quite a few will improve in flavour in storage. Summer squash are the ones you eat straightaway and won't keep - like courgettes, patty pans etc.

surbie100

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2014, 10:22 »
I grew 3 new types, but for me Queensland Blue everytime- however you need a big family and an angle grinder to do them justice.  Dense flesh (like butternut), doesn't go mushy.  and a beautiful classy steely grey colour.  None of that tarty orange  :D

I've got just the one on my plant - it's still determinedly green, but am looking forward to tasting it later on.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2014, 15:50 »
First time I've grown Thelma Sanders --- great crop. Some even escaped into to the plot next door but luckily I was allowed to reclaim them  :lol: :lol:

Most prolific ever was Hooligan... dozens of smallish stripy orange and yellow fruits that stored right through to the end of May perfectly sound and delicious  :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2014, 18:36 »

I've got just the one on my plant - it's still determinedly green, but am looking forward to tasting it later on.
I usually only get max 2 per plant, huge one and a small one.  They can go grey/blue in storage if you have to cut them before, don't worry. 

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2014, 23:36 »

Love that!
"Tarty Orange"  :lol: :lol: :lol:

The grey ones do look classy though ;) :)

xx
Winter Squash & Pumpkin Recommendations

Started by angelavdavis on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post October 29, 2011, 20:31
by Nikkithefoot
xx
Squash recommendations

Started by Starling on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post September 13, 2010, 21:51
by kermit
xx
Squash Variety Recommendations for Scotland

Started by Dawn in the North on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post August 15, 2011, 20:08
by realfood
xx
Recommendations wanted for onions for storing for use over the winter

Started by Snoop on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 31, 2010, 07:08
by zazen999

Page created in 0.449 seconds with 37 queries.