toms in unheated greenhouse

• 22 Replies

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: toms in unheated greenhouse
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 17:35 »
I shall be waiting until at least next weekend --- and then see the forecast before deciding
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

compostqueen

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 20:10 »
I've got no heat on in mine and they're generally ok. The aubs look a bit floppy but everything else is doing fine.  I keep pieces of fleece handy and listen out for frost warnings, which reminds me I've forgotten to close the greenhouse door!  Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 21:18 »
Yes, aubergines do tend to be more tender than tomatoes or courgettes and often peppers, don't they. This year I did two varieties of aubergine, Moneymaker and Black Beauty, and I've been surprised how much stronger Moneymaker are than Black Beauty. They grew faster and stand up strong even if they do catch a draught, but the Black Beauty immediately start looking sorry for themselves and are much slower growing. I'll see how they do crop wise, but if Moneymaker give me a decent crop I think I'll stick with them in future. I've found the same with the two varieties of sweet pepper I did and the three varieties of chilli, always one variety that stands out as being more robust and hardy.

I've got tomatoes in my unheated polytunnel now, though I'm still putting fleece on them overnight at the moment.

compostqueen

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2012, 22:29 »
I do try and grow some unusual aubs but they're often disappointing.  I've done well with Bonica in the past.  I like the violet, rose and blush pink ones but they're not very prolific  :D
I've given up on sweet peppers as I'm short of space and I'd rather grow more chillies, which I love to grow.  I grow different ones every year and I think the hardiest last year was the cayenne and Biala Shipka (which was as hot as blazes  :tongue2:)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2012, 08:25 »
We have a display greenhouse at work under a poly tunnel roof in our veg area and we planted up a grow bag with 3 heritage tomatoes and 2 tall pots with tumblers yesterday so I'll let you know how they look on Monday  :)

I had reservations, but my right hand girl was mad keen and was determined to get going (although I suspect her motives as she was picking toms that she thought would go well in her lunchtime sarnies  :lol: )

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2012, 08:55 »
Noticed that though:

under the growing roof = double frost protection though  :D

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2012, 09:10 »
I've given up on sweet peppers as I'm short of space and I'd rather grow more chillies, which I love to grow.  I grow different ones every year and I think the hardiest last year was the cayenne and Biala Shipka (which was as hot as blazes  :tongue2:)

Next time you've got space for another chilli variety, try Superchilli, if you haven't tried them before. It's really not worth keeping them over winter because they grow away so fast from sowing that the new plants very quickly catch up, much faster than other chilli varieties I've tried. They're always robust and easy to grow and always give me an enormous crop of lovely little chillis.

jrko

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2012, 11:29 »
My toms and pepper plants/seedlings have been in my unheated greenhouse since mid March with no harm suffered.  Potting them all on is todays job
Hello.  My name is James, the builder of Evil Shed mkII and The Greenhouse of Doom.  Please enjoy the madness of my Plot Diary here:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=107298.0

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 40 queries.