Rebuilding the kitchen.

• 23 Replies

Trillium

Re: Rebuilding the kitchen.
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 22:37 »
With me it is drawers rather than doors for all base units except the sink.
A sink big enough to fit a large frying pan in completely !

I agree. Best decision we made was switching from shelves to large drawers - no more kneeling or  bending over to get something from the back.

My sis went the extra money and got a double stainless sink with built in stainless draining rack attached. Wish I'd thought of that one rather than the separate cheap wobbly things that curl up  >:(

For taps, I recently bought one of the higher 'crane' neck taps that has the spray nozzle on the end. It's similar to what you see in restaurant kitchens but not nearly so huge nor pricey. It's a bonus when washing out tall stock pots, etc.

If you can't afford much on counters, try to make a section beside the stove out of marble or granite to put hot pots down on. A friend decided wood butcherblock would look great.... until she noticed all the serious burn marks from hot pots.

We also did build-in trash bin that comes out for occasional washing out. Keeps the beasties out of the waste and no one falls over it anymore.

grinling

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 20:24 »
I like pull out shelves/baskets as easier to get at stuff. Also like a walk in larder for easy storage. Shelves on wall with a rail for hooks for containers. Ikea does floor drawers for use instead of plinths. Worktops from local builders merchants some deliver free. Prefer drawers to cupboard shelves. Put draining board over dishwasher/washing machine. check ebay/gumtree/preloved for fittings..ikea's included in price.
I designed mine using square paper and 600/500etc squares for cupboards etc. found ikeas useful as I have water mains tap in one place and they do shallow cupboard.
check prices online, we bought tiles online after visiting topps and saved £50.

8doubles

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2014, 21:29 »
I like pull out shelves/baskets as easier to get at stuff. Also like a walk in larder for easy storage. Shelves on wall with a rail for hooks for containers. Ikea does floor drawers for use instead of plinths. Worktops from local builders merchants some deliver free. Prefer drawers to cupboard shelves. Put draining board over dishwasher/washing machine. check ebay/gumtree/preloved for fittings..ikea's included in price.
I designed mine using square paper and 600/500etc squares for cupboards etc. found ikeas useful as I have water mains tap in one place and they do shallow cupboard.
check prices online, we bought tiles online after visiting topps and saved £50.

Plinth drawers will be on the menu for my next kitchen , more storage space for seasonal gadgets. :)

diospyros

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2014, 16:28 »
I have a double drainer (not a double sink, a single sink with a drainer each side,) I can't imagine how people manage without.

I have a wine rack in a narrow gap which rarely holds wine but is good for odds and ends and the fire extinguisher.

I have solid wood worktops and am careful with hot pans but I don't get too hung up about marks and dings.  Each one has a story to go with it ;) and the wood goes all the way down so it's not like chipping laminate, and you don't smash glasses if you put them down too hard.

I have had two Ikea kitchens and rate them very highly.  Both have had different coloured wall cupboards to base units, but that's just a matter of appearances!

grinling

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2014, 20:29 »
also my friend has a hanging pan rack attached to rafters...just as well as she uses crueset pans etc and there is a lot of weight!!
www.diy-kitchens.com/kitchen-units/base/ this is a nice site
www.kitchenandbedroomdoors.co.uk/kitchen_door_design_detail.asp?name=Premier-Victoria&id=58 another nice site.

diospyros

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2014, 07:44 »
I used to go on a kitchens forum. Mostly populated by Americans who took YEARS to decide on their dream kitchen.  Worktops, should it be Corian, butcherblock, marble, granite?  Ok decide on granite.  black, brown, white - black.  black with sparkly bits, pure black.. honed or polished?  bullnose or square edge?  each decision a separate thread and argued and agonised over... then on to the handles!

I've found it... it's here http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/kitchbath/

Growster...

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2014, 13:48 »
Several years ago, we bought a Catskill Mountains central island unit, one of those cupboard/drawer/shelf units on casters.

Naturally, it's in the middle of the room, and we can sit and eat there as well if we want, as it has two gate-leg flaps on one side. Mrs Growster does all the cooking prep there.

I often wish that we'd bought - say eight or ten of them, left out the wall cupboards and given ourselves the chance to change the layout on a whim, just by moving them around the room! They would have cost about the same...

grendel

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2014, 14:53 »
we made use of a corner by having the washing machine in the corner, then between that and the side of the cooker we took a single base unit, fitted casters on the bottom and have a pull out unit that bridges the gap, when you want to load the washing machine the unit pulls out (the washing powder and liquid sit in the space behind the drawers in the back of the pull out unit), load up, start the program then push the unit back, this has the advantage of using an unusable space, plus keeping the washing machine quieter.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Growster...

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2014, 16:11 »
we made use of a corner by having the washing machine in the corner, then between that and the side of the cooker we took a single base unit, fitted casters on the bottom and have a pull out unit that bridges the gap, when you want to load the washing machine the unit pulls out (the washing powder and liquid sit in the space behind the drawers in the back of the pull out unit), load up, start the program then push the unit back, this has the advantage of using an unusable space, plus keeping the washing machine quieter.
Grendel

What a great idea, Grendel! Like that!

We got away with having a tumble dryer in a similar sort of position, but as the door is only a foot in diameter in the middle of the front as usual, we can overlap the front a bit with another freezer and still use it easily!

If you see what I mean...;0)

xx
I've got a kitchen aid!!

Started by RJR_38 on Kitchen Natter

23 Replies
Last post January 17, 2015, 18:01
by RJR_38
xx
kitchen tongs

Started by Steveharford on Kitchen Natter

2 Replies
Last post September 06, 2014, 17:06
by Mrs Bee
xx
Kitchen clear out

Started by New shoot on Kitchen Natter

12 Replies
Last post January 08, 2014, 17:42
by Willow_Warren
clip
and she does a lap of honour round the kitchen!

Started by Mrs Bee on Kitchen Natter

22 Replies
Last post May 29, 2014, 21:13
by Mrs Bee

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 38 queries.