Chicks-am I doing the right thing?

• 9 Replies

Tom's mum

« on: June 29, 2007, 14:04 »
Hi everyone, hope someone can help...  After much consideration I have agreed to let my son adopt 2 chicks (nearly 3 weeks old) which his class have hatched in an incubator.  Have looked after friends hens when they are away, but I'm very aware that these tinies will need more intensive care whilst so young.  We will have a Fordsham 603 ark but wondered whether they need to be kept indoors in a cage to start with-is an infra red lamp essential?  Any suggestions welcome.  Almost decided against this whilst researching, but Muntjac's and Aunt Sally's posts have persuaded me we could make it work.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 14:18 »
They will need some warmth Tom's mum, they will regulate their own heat to some degree by moving closer to the heat source if cold and vice versa. Make sure they are secure from rats as they will take chicks.

Good luck it's fun I bought my first lot of hens up from day olds.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Tom's mum

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 14:37 »
Thanks Richyrich7

Guess they're safer indoors for a few more weeks, then gradually introduced to the ark & enclosed run.  I've been told to use dust exracted woodshavings on newspaper for easy cleaning whilst in a cage, then clean straw over shavings in their house, but to keep the nest boxes closed off until they're ready to lay.  How do I stop predators digging under the run?  Sorry to sound so ignorant, but I'd rather get it right than have early deaths to contend with-know there are no guarantees against foxes etc but want to all I can to keep them safe.  My 2 dogs are a pretty good deterrent but obviously aren't out at night when foxes may be about.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 20:33 »
Is your run fixed or movable ? on a fixed you usually dig down about a foot and put your chicken wire down into it, don't forget to attach to the bottom of the wire on your run. With movable you can make a sort of flat skirt that spreads out around it. Take a look at an eglu for some ideas.

Here's a link for you which shows it quite well.

I have a vixen that comes into the garden quite a bit take's a look at the hens but I think she realises that they are pretty well locked up and there is easier pickings else where.

Tom's mum

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 22:26 »
Some developments since my original post; a friend has offered me a corner of his barn to start with until the chicks are old enough to use the hen house/ark.  Having read Sadgit's (I think that's what the name was) post on housing we have decided to make our own moveable ark & run during the summer holidays, hopefully building in all the features you guys have recommended to keep our babies safe & happy.  

Just want to say how pleased we are to have found this forum; common sense & having a go aren't often encouraged these days and reassuring to feel we can ask Qs as we stumble along.

Hope you all had a great weekend.

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 23:38 »
Don't put them outside until they are fully feathered.  They can regulate their own body temperature better then.  If you only have a few birds, think about the size of bulb you are using in the lamp, e.g. I wouldn't use a 250W - more like 60 or 100 depending on surroundings of brooder and where it is kept.  Keep costs down.

Hope all goes well.

Tom's mum

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 09:17 »
Thanks.  I didn't realise you can vary the strength of the heat lamp-makes sense for 2 chicks.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 20:35 »
I used a heat pad when I did it, just put some paper over it and they used to sit on it when they got cold and moved away when hot.

Tom's mum

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 22:52 »
I have now been offered an infra red lamp which I can hang above their cage (actually I have 2; one which my whippet used to use, the other for when they're a bit bigger (greyhound size!), but before they're old enough to go out.  Off to feed merchant to buy chick crunch & grit + drinker 2moro. Should the chicks have anything added to their water-have read about this in other posts but think may have been for older birds?  When should I start giving them greens?

Counting down to Thursday...

chicksforkicks

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 04:51 »
Hey Tom's Mum,
well we put  our chicks in a closet, and they were 1 week old. they seemed  to be fine, as they are alright to this very day.

If you want to you can put a bit of sugar in their water  to give them a boost when you first get  them,  we did ours and they went crazy.

I started feeding my chicks greens at about 5 weeks. I gave them torn up cabbage that we grew, and some grass from out back.

Hope you have fun raising chickens
-If life gives you lemons find someone who got vodka and have a party
-If it doesn't fit;force it. If it breaks; you needed a new one anyway
-Borrow money from pessimist; they don't expect it back

xx
Help needed with new chicks and about to hatch chicks

Started by jim_148 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 18:08
by jim_148
xx
What age can chicks be mixed with other chicks with no bother?

Started by gracie on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 07:53
by gracie
xx
Have I done the right thing?

Started by kimT on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 30, 2009, 17:48
by nnbreeder
xx
have i done the right thing

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 21, 2008, 21:00
by Foxy

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 38 queries.