Have I done the right thing?

• 4 Replies

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
Have I done the right thing?
« on: May 29, 2009, 14:51 »
One of our table birds crop was big and squashy this morning and she looked listless.

Having never dealt with a sour crop or impacted crop before I set about sorting her out and hope I have done the right thing.

I felt the crop which was squashy and her breath didn't smell so I gave her a little olive oil and then massaged her crop when I felt things were squashy enough I turned nearly upside down and this horrible green bile came out of her beak...........poor little soul. :(

I did this about five times giving her a break between each time I did it and eventually the crop was empty. I then gave her some fresh water with pro thingy bob in it to help hydrate her again.

She looked so much better when this was done although a bit weak she was drinking and having a look at the food.

We will keep an eye on her for the next few days but I am worried that the crop will fill up again.

Any advise from anyone who has dealt with this condition before?

poultrygeist

Re: Have I done the right thing?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 17:53 »
Hi Kim.

I would give her some more yoghurt and make sure she has plenty of grit available. Keep her away from anything grassy or likely to congeal and keep an eye on her.

Rob 8)

kimT

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 18:07 »
Will do.

Thanks

kimT

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 09:09 »
Update:

The crop is down but she looks very sorry for herself she is just plodding about not eating or drinking like she is just too weak and can't be bothered.

I don't know what to do to help her. :(

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 17:48 »
Mix some of this up to see if it will perk her up.

To help a bird recover from illness, they need extra protein.. this formula really helps them with thier recovery

My Treatment is this

“” This amount feeds one bird””

Feed the birds three times a day for three days a mixture of

This mixture is what you will need for the entire three feeds…. It is not 3 egg yolks and 3 teaspoons of honey etc…. divide the contents into three

½ to 1 x egg yolk….. give the whites to the other hens mixed into their seed or pellets (depends a lot on the size of the egg yolk)

1 teaspoon honey…. .given for energy

2 x tablespoons yoghurt…. Given for calcium and also to make the bowel go back into normal production after this upset
Only use the plain yoghurt never the one with fruit or extra sugar in it, not good for the bird

¼ teaspoon calcium powder (if you can’t get the yoghurt)

3 to 4 tablespoons rolled oats…. To give substance to the feed, or use chicken crumbles or layer pellets but soften them with some boiling water first

Sprinkle of multi vitamin powder (only if you are not already giving it to them in their drinking water, don’t overdose) just a few grains will usually be enough for this size mixture

2 to 4 table spoons of apple sauce or grated apple, it must be grated not chopped up for ease of digestion

Mix to make a crumble mixture not runny

If the bird is not eating you will have to force feed... roll into small pellets the same size as a layer pellet.... and force feed, and then massage the neck in a downward motion to get it down into the bired crop, make sure your keep the neck straight, its really hard getting someting down a neck that is bent or curved, the bird may be too weak to eat or have lost the desire to eat…. Don’t hold back…. The longer it goes without this the worse it will get

If you must give it something to drink – only give drops onto the beak or use the crop tube to get fluids down the throat, don’t try and pour any fluid down a chickens throat, it will more than likely go into the air passage and into the lungs and end up drowning the bird

This will give the bird a large dose of Vitamin D, C and A

After 3 days cut back to once a day for 2 weeks, you should notice the difference in 3 or 4 days

Give other food also, chick crumbles, grower crumbles or layer pellets depending on the age of the bird etc
Also have fresh water at all times for the birds to drink in easy reach, remember it is not well so it may not go looking for the food and water, so put it just about under its nose so it can’t miss it

xx
have i done the right thing

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 21, 2008, 21:00
by Foxy
question
Is there such a thing as egg constipation!

Started by Bev on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post August 13, 2010, 21:48
by Bev
xx
Chicks-am I doing the right thing?

Started by Tom's mum on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 03, 2007, 04:51
by chicksforkicks
xx
Broken egg - have I done the right thing ?

Started by troll on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 06, 2011, 07:34
by Helenaj

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 38 queries.