Been down the 'Lottie

• 6 Replies

Ygerna

Been down the 'Lottie
« on: November 21, 2008, 17:39 »
I love telling my DH that I am going to be popping down the allotment. I've had it oh, nearly two whole weeks now but already I look forward to going down there. I can get quite upset if I cant go for any reason :?

I am trying to clear the debris that is hidden beneath the nettles and couch, bit of old wood, planks, bricks and carpet. More carpet than I have ever seen. It's wall to wall down there :shock: I can't decide if previous tennants were trying to grow there own Axminster or not. I know carpet can be used to suppress weeds but, thats suppress not completely prevent and couch, as you know is capable of growing through most stuff. Everytime I lift some of the top layer of growth I seem to find more blinkin carpet. Oh well.

Anyway. How do I sharpen a spade please? An extremely generous gent has given me an old spade and a fork he had spare. The Fork is grand but the spade, alas is in need of a bit of an edge being put onto it. Specially as I keep hitting carpet :wink:

mikem

• Experienced Member
Been down the 'Lottie
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 17:48 »
You just need a metal file, if you don't know what they look like then here is a link, I am not recommending you buying from there just showing you what they look like.  A large one, say one inch wide is about right. If you haven't got one then I am sure that a neighbour (house or allotment) will have one.  The end of the spade doesn't need to be really sharp, just narrow enough so that it can slice through things (normally small roots).

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cht128-11-pce-metal-file-set

An alternative would be to use a "Stanley Knife" to cut the carpet up into smaller pieces, they are really good but take care not to cut your finger off!  Keep your other hand well out of the way.  See:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stanley-99E-Retractable-Blade-Knife/dp/B0001GRVE6

compostqueen

Been down the 'Lottie
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 10:24 »
Ouch it does jar when you strike carpet  :(   Take your time and you'll get there. Little and often so you don't injure yourself or get bored by the job  :D  

I get ratty if I can't get to my plot. I feel withdrawals if I don't get my fix  :D   I was on mine all afternoon and only ragged in when it was getting dark and the hail started.  I was only pottering about and tidying up but it felt great to be outdoors in the fresh air. Very fresh indeed  :D

shaun

Been down the 'Lottie
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 10:27 »
a pickaxe is great for removing old carpet  :evil: ohh and brute force  :wink:
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Been down the 'Lottie
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 10:36 »
I sympathise with you over the carpet. We had the same problem with Mrs Digger's plot.

It doesn't stop weeds if left down, the damn things root it to the plot & it leeches chemicals when it rains!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Clampit

Been down the 'Lottie
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 18:42 »
A mattock is a handy tool for shifting carpet, I know what you mean about not getting down to your plot. I haven't been down for about a month due to other circumstances, it's really getting me down, there's so much to do before the weather turns really bad. :cry:

PinkTequila

• Experienced Member
Been down the 'Lottie
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 23:24 »
My spade is kept sharp and will easily cut throughcarpet, roots, string etc. Get a file and give it a go, it is getting a balance between sharpness and strength at the edge, some people sharpen the back of the blade some the front, people generally disagree as to which is best which probably means it makes no difference. Digging will keep it sharp!

xx
might have a lottie!!!

Started by Janeymiddlewife on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 12, 2008, 20:24
by noshed
xx
new lottie

Started by CHRIS THE VEG on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 15, 2007, 21:56
by WG.
xx
Can I use this on my Lottie?

Started by mifty12 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 02, 2009, 18:49
by Trillium
xx
I love lottie

Started by Patrick on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 29, 2007, 00:03
by Little Miss Muffet

Page created in 0.428 seconds with 34 queries.