Sub-soil on new lottie (now with added pics)

• 24 Replies

SkipRat

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2008, 00:42 »
Nettles maybe a sign that your soil maybe on the acid side, it maybe a good idea to invest in a soil testing kit. (which everyone taking an allotment should do).
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

woodburner

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2008, 01:05 »
Quote from: "SkipRat"
Nettles maybe a sign that your soil maybe on the acid side, it maybe a good idea to invest in a soil testing kit. (which everyone taking an allotment should do).

Good point especially as I'm intending to grow brassicas there this year. Where can I get lime from if it needs it? I've never noticed any at garden centres :?
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2008, 06:53 »
Quote from: "woodburner"

Good point especially as I'm intending to grow brassicas there this year. Where can I get lime from if it needs it? I've never noticed any at garden centres :?

Probably because you've not been specifically looking for it! You should find it lurking there.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

woodburner

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2008, 16:47 »
Looks like I might not get that lottie after all.  :(  The current tenant has been contacted and apparently he is intending to get to work on it this coming week, nothing to do with his being contacted ofc  :tongue2:
Personally, I suspect he wants time to move the body!!! :shock:

Anyway, even if he really does start using it, there is almost certainly one available at the other site. The only potential problem is, if the couple that looked at it some time ago decided to take it, but the message hasn't got back to the man on site, that I was told to talk to.  Actually they really wanted a plot on the site with all the nettles but they don't seem to have contacted the man in charge of that site. Confused? Yes, me too ;)  :roll:

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2008, 20:01 »
:(  :shock:  :x
Hope you end up with one after all this confusion!!!
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

woodburner

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2008, 23:42 »

Well, I was afraid this would happen but it actually looks like I have a choice of two very different plots. :!:  :lol: I guess the guy must have moved the body already :tongue2:
One is shady, but otherwise preferable location, the other is open but next to (and on the other side of) a very busy main road. Most things are either inconsequential or can be dealt with in time, but the shade and the road are permanent. I guess it really comes down to how bad is shade for veg? I must get out with Mum's camera tomorrow and take pics as I just cannot decide which to take.  :?

woodburner

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2008, 16:24 »
If it weren't for the shade at the first site, the choice would be a no brainer. It's peaceful there, and a nice walk across fields or through the village to get there.
Site two, is by a nasty busy road that I would have to walk or ride along for almost the entire way there. There is no end to the noise while you are there either. I also have to cross the road to get there. It's small wonder so many people get there by car.

Site one has nettles, cleavers and old bonfire heaps.
Site two has dock and some thistles, as well as annual weeds.

The big decider is the shade though. Just how much of a problem is shade for vegetables?

All opinions gladly received, Thanks :)

Here is the first lottie. Apparently there are two plots. Can't figure where one ends and the other starts though ;) They may even be side by side :roll:

This is the 'grave' just out of the bottom of pic one.

View from the bottom back to the top. The tree in the centre of the pic is not a problem as it is to the north. But the trees to the left are!

Closer view of the problem. The shade in the pic is cast by the big tree to the south of the plot, the trees opposite are long overgrown hawthorn hedge, which will cast even deeper shade as the sun goes round to the west.

This is the alternative site:
View toward the road. The car is half on and half off my lottie. A previous occupant was granted permission to put down hardcore and park there as he was disabled. Someone else is taking advantage. Parking rights will be revoked if I take ithe plot! :twisted:  :twisted:

View from the fruit trees to the road. Note the traffic.  :evil:

View back to the top showing water tank :)

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2008, 17:29 »
My preference would be for the shaded plot even though there's going to be a lot of work involved. The one big problem apart from the shade is the tree roots which will take the water and nutrients out the soil so the veg might not be as prolific.  Are there parts of the first plot that do get the sun? If so then you could plant the sun lovers in one end and use the other end for the plants that don't mind the shade.  I would go for the first plot as it looks to be a nice quiet peaceful area once it's all cleared but that's just my opinion.

Dominic

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2008, 18:02 »
Would anyone else say the second looks a bit barren for an abandoned allotment?
Most abandoned ones I've seen are inhabited by 3or 4 foot tall weeds
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

woodburner

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2008, 22:47 »
Thanks for the input. I have voiced my preference for the shady plot, but I won't know what I'm getting til Thursday at the earliest. :?

The big tree at the bottom is actually on the other side of the brook, so shouldn't be too much of a problem, regards moisture content. Apart from the hawthorn the other trees are set back from the boundary and don't overhang so hopefully they won't cause problems either and if I actually get the plot I will make sure the hawthorn gets cut, after the nesting season is over.

The sunny site was worked on pretty intensively for about 3 weeks last year then mysteriously abandoned, potatoes, onions, wall flowers and all.  :o
All the other allotments there are taken, so not much weed seed floating around either.

xx
some pics of my lottie

Started by Leaf on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post April 01, 2008, 12:53
by Angelah
xx
Lottie in August- (Updated with some more pics)

Started by Bombers on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 15, 2008, 00:02
by Bombers
xx
winter lettuce PICS ADDED

Started by dankay123 on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post October 16, 2012, 23:07
by compostqueen
xx
Tomato Virus? PICS ADDED

Started by Big Jen on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post July 16, 2008, 22:27
by gobs

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 36 queries.