Feeding Meat Birds

• 18 Replies

uktitan

Re: Feeding Meat Birds
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2010, 16:32 »
what do you guys think of this Stuff? i just came across it, the chick feed is 25% protein

http://www.garvo.eu/fancychickens/
I now have the chicken bug woot i love the Poland's

Casey76

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2010, 17:51 »
I know a lote of people who feed Garvo, and they are really happy with it - however they also show thier chickens, and Garvo is really marketed at show birds (it also costs more than regular feed).

If you are really desperate for high protein food, you can add some finely milled soy beans (non GMO preferably) - however it isn't really necessary.

As I said before, the higher protein you feed, the quicker the birds put on weight.  With meat birds this can also be a BAD THING, as thier legs will collapse or they will die of heart failure before you get them to the table.

Remember: egg to shelf in 39 days for industry broilers is BAD.  Welfare is awful, mortality is high, and the meat (at the end of the day) is pretty tasteless.

uktitan

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 19:32 »
Thank you all for the advise...I finally managed to get the Info out of my friend that i needed ( the friend in the US) Getting info outa him is like getting blood from a stone lol

It turns out, that he recommended Turkey feed for my Meat birds, Because in some country's Turkey feed and Table chicken feed is the same thing, it even states it on the Bag... Kinda weird that it don't say that over here in the UK lol. Oh well, you live and learn.  :)

Think I might use a normal Chick crumb(medicated) for the first 5 weeks so that they don't get to Heavy to fast (being Ross cobb) then Switch to a 50/50 mix of none medicated turkey/chicken growers/finnisher pellets until a week before Culling..

Now for the Question  :D What do i feed them for that last week? just wheat, mixed corn or something else?

Oh and one last question.. Defra Recommended that I give my Meat birds Net-Tex Liquid Tonic with Seaweed since i wont be using Medicated feed from 5weeks on...My question is, is it safe to give day old chicks, or should i wait until they are 5weeks old?

« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 19:14 by uktitan »

mole trapper

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2010, 09:03 »
Just a quick word to say thanks for this great post! I have layers but this is the first time I have done table birds. Currently have 20 ross hubbards in the shed growing on and this was a great help,  unfortunately best laid plans of giving our table birds some roaming space outside before slaughter has been scuppered by the weather, but they are coming on great in the shed.  UKtitan mentions a tonic, whats this is it worth getting, fairly dubious as it is mentioned in the same sentance a Defra who in my experience dont know a lot!

UKtitan how have your birds done?

xx
Feeding the birds (wild birds)

Started by ManicMum on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 13, 2011, 16:41
by mjd
xx
feeding meat.

Started by samuria on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post November 28, 2010, 17:47
by samuria
xx
Meat birds??

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post April 06, 2008, 23:16
by woodburner
xx
Meat birds

Started by carl on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post September 20, 2013, 08:53
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 29 queries.