Gooseberry wine

• 27 Replies

pepsi100

Re: Gooseberry wine
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2014, 20:08 »
I put this pectolase in at 1-2 pm today, its now just gone 8 pm, and you just wouldnt believe how clear it has gone, there is a bit of fluffy stuff at the bottom of the demi-joohn

I could decant this tomorrow, run it through a filter, then bottle it

It is quite dry, so I am not sure whether to sweeten it half of them (was going to use sucrose)

I was a bit dubiousth this pect, but now I am just amazed how fast the haze cleared

If anyone has any suggestion about sweetning it and with what and how much per bottle, please let me know
It's all about the journey, not the destination

Auntiemogs

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2014, 21:49 »
Brilliant news pepsi.  :)  My rhubarb seems to be clearing (finally) but doesn't taste of much.  :(  May have to have a think on additives...

I used Splenda to sweeten my ginger beer, and it worked well with no bitter aftertaste.  I'd go for sweetening the whole lot at once, but gradually, until it's at the required sweetness. 
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

pepsi100

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2014, 22:19 »
The reason I was thinking of sweetning half and half was the wife likes a sweeter wine, I like a dry wine

I was thinking of truvia, but that even has an after taste in my coffee :(

Tomorrow, when I filter it, I'll have a taster, and see if it does need sweetening

I havent had a taste of it yet, so no idea what it will taste of or like

It seems the longer I leave it the clearer its getting, so I might leave it until the afternoon, evening, it will have a full 24 hours to clear (but if it carries on like this I may not even have to filter it)

So I have to thank crh75 for suggesting the pectolase after it had finished  ;) I had never given any thought to using it

crh75

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2014, 17:04 »
Glad it worked.

As for sweetening, I never have but if someone wanted a sweeter wine I would sweeten it when opening the bottle.  Either a small amount of sugar syrup or even a dash of lemonade!

pepsi100

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2014, 17:16 »
I had a taster of it, the gooseberry flavour I was expecting seems to have disappeared, its like a satuerne now, a bit insiped,  but nice chilled, but I reckon it might improve with a few weeks/months in the rack

I was a bit disappointed with it, I was really expecting a 'gooseberry' flavour  :(

grinling

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2014, 22:10 »
Mine is gooseberry, the best yet is peapod which smells of peapods but tastes fab.

AnnieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2014, 14:13 »
Gooseberries do not have a strong flavour to carry through, and the fermenting process reduces this.
If you wanted to help the flavour you would be advised to have made wine with say half the gooseberries allow this to ferment to about 1.010 then add the remaining gooseberries for the end of the fermenting.

This allows more of the gooseberry flavour to survive, also the yeast variety is relevant. Bit late now but it is an aspect worth thinking about on later mixes.

I made a pineapple by this idea, I fermented the initial with 1 pineapple then chopped up a second one towards the end of the ferment. The results is a wine that has a taste of pineapple and smells of pineapple. Pleased with how it has come out.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2014, 14:26 »
I never thought of that Annie, thanks for the tip.   :)

pepsi100

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2014, 19:48 »
Thanks Annie, that does seem the right way to go to keep the gooseberry smell and taste

I can get pineapples easy enough, have you got any recipe for it ?

(type of yeast ? How many pineapples for a 5 liter demi john0, legth of time brewing ?)

Thanks ;)

AnnieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2014, 15:36 »
My pineapple recipe was a bit weird, 2 bits that I threw in were simply because they were hanging around, I'll leave them in but as striked out text:

Pineapple:
More of a hybrid: Need 2 pineapples.
1 pineapple chopped,
Half mango (had ½ spare)
2 banana's for body.
1 litre white grape juice,
1 litre white grape drink with apple and pear (hanging round doing nothing)
Teaspoon nutrient.
Water for 5 litre (sorry made a weird amount of 7)
Sugar for 1.100
Yeast Gervin Var D used.
1 teaspoon Pectalose.
As normal ferment for the lot above.
Ferment to 1.020, bit less if you can hold off.
For 5 litre ignore the white grape drink with apple and pear and use bit less water.

At 1.020 pour through a sieve to remove main bits, return to fernentation bucket.
Chop and add the 2nd pineapple to the fermentation (bucket).
Leave for 3 days.
Sieve again and pour into DJ’s (have a half size one – hence 7 litre.)
Ferment to completion, should make about 13%.

As said the mango was sat doing nothing and the grape juice drink was better fermented then having to drink it. However the small bit of apple and pear present did  no harm, it was also low in actual fruit juice content, most things marked "drink" are it seems.

You could add a couple of kiwi's, a peach/nectarine or whatever if wanted. or as in my case whatever falls to hand.

The idea follows a Bill/Bob Smith who has a book of late addition wines (title is something else), his tend to be water, juice, nutrient, sugar, yeast all fermented (no fruit) then when the mix gets to 1.010 he adds the fruit aspect. I just prefer to do it sort of half and half - half at the start, half at the end.

Just found the gooseberry one I made, that was choatic. Wrong yeast and seems I added sugar in at least 2 lots. All gooseberries for that were added towards the end.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 15:58 by AnnieB »

pepsi100

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2014, 23:31 »
I'm going to givethis a try, but I have a mango in the fridge, so I'll lob that in

Not so sure about the bananas though

Got a couple of apples

So I reckon its a case of mash it all up, put in a demi john, add water, yeast and let it do its 'thing'

Never heard of that yeast though,I just use wine yeast or champagne yeat

I dont have a hygometer, I just let it bubble until it stops, so that will be a bit of hit or miss

I'll add a pound of sugar to kick it off, then add the other pound

Then I guess I would add the other pinapple when it al stops bubbling, leave it a month or so, then chuck in the finings (I have been told egg shells work, but never tried that)

Kevin67

• 250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2014, 20:13 »
I don't worry about a wine clearing or not - for me, it's only aesthetics.

If it tastes great, I'll forgive a little (or - indeed - a lot) of clouding. The best cider I had was murky as anything and my wines taste no different either cloudy or not.

fwiw, I don't use campden tablets and my goosegog wine loses its colour.
250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
Cheap as chips, diy preferred
Will swap root cuttings etc

"There comes a point where Mother nature just says no, without a lot of electricity." Quote Beesrus

pepsi100

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2014, 20:15 »
I agree about the cider, best cider I drank came in a gallon container, was sold out of a kitchen window in Devon

Ah, they were the days  :)

smiley
gooseberry wine on the go

Started by wayne170534 on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post August 23, 2011, 21:59
by shadsncoops
xx
Gooseberry wine ideas

Started by New shoot on Homebrew

3 Replies
Last post July 25, 2011, 14:51
by Growster...
xx
Last Years Rhubarb/Gooseberry/Elderflower Wine help!!

Started by otis pony on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post June 27, 2010, 22:49
by otis pony
xx
How can i make my wine sweeter - and I need half size bottles for wine.

Started by composthappens on Homebrew

10 Replies
Last post July 31, 2013, 23:39
by Jackypam

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 39 queries.