Yew 'flowers'...

• 7 Replies

Growster...

Yew 'flowers'...
« on: May 05, 2021, 07:26 »
The pics below show all the flowers that the yew behind us chucks down every year!

This year, it's all come down at the same time because of the lousy wind and weather, and even forms drifts on the GH and netting etc, but eventually goes after a while.

My question though, is this - are these flowers acidic? They just mulch down eventually, but while the whole garden is in a bit of a turmoil at the moment, I wouldn't wish to pile some more problems on it all!

Anyone know please?
P1110996.JPG
P1110997.JPG

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: Yew 'flowers'...
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 08:28 »
Our pines do the same thing, except the accumulation is thicker.

I don't know the pH of this material, but I wouldn't worry too much. I would assume it is acidic to a degree. With the debris from my pines, I just take it as free organic matter and dig it into the soil.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 09:31 »
Thank you, SP!

I've always assumed that pines gave off acidic flowers/seeds, but this old yew really does put on a show when it wants to!

When the pollen is around (March), there are usually great clouds of the stuff flying in all directions as well - but I reckon it deserves a bit of a show, as it is around 900 years old!

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 10:53 »
I'm curious as to the diameter at chest height, and how you know the age?

It's always wonderful seeing great old trees!

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 12:18 »
I'd imagine it's in a churchyard and there probably local records going back centuries.  ;)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 15:50 »
What a fabulous tree Mr G.  I am envious!

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 18:00 »
Thanks all - it's another labour of love keeping this old chap in check!

Some more pics below, taken just now...

The circumference at chest level is about 8' 0"(2.500m in new money), and the spread of the branches at it's widest, is well over 50'0". One pic shows where it's been allowed to grow towards the church, and where we've had to cut some back over the years (as did the previous owners for around the 900 years it's been there)! Yew wood doesn't really have a grain, just a tight-knit mix of colour, steel-hard knots and a passion for being made into beautiful objects. There have been quite a few pieces made from this chap, and I know a few more will be one day, as a friend has taken a bough which blew down a year or so ago, but because it dries out at around an inch a year, it'll take quite some time to mature for turning! I use wind-falls for tool handles - they last forever!

The age is 'substantiated' by local historians, as the original church was probably built around 1100 AD, and it was tradition to plant a yew somewhere as well! We all know that the branches were great for longbows, which would have been useful around then, what with William the Conqueror popping over and getting in the way, and a few of our lads deciding to try and do something about him...

The top of the tree blew off when the church was bombed in 1944, hence the odd shape, and even these days, several boughs have been damaged here and there by high winds. Our plants and shrubs against the wall, have to bend Eastwards to get going too!

P1120001.JPG
P1120002.JPG
P1120003.JPG
P1120004.JPG

jezza

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2021, 20:50 »
Hello my brother uses Yew and Holly laminated for strength (160pounds pull ) to make 6 foot long bows he has just made a neighbours little lad a quarter length bow for an archery competition,as for the Yew flowers dig them in then do a soil  test, jezza

xx
potatoes..flowers or no flowers

Started by peedee555 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 25, 2013, 21:07
by hanssg
xx
flowers between the veg?

Started by karooba007 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 21, 2009, 22:40
by SnooziSuzi
xx
wow-too many flowers!

Started by 666 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 12, 2008, 22:22
by 666
xx
flowers

Started by razzmick on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 05, 2011, 15:18
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 46 queries.