Gone eco crazy

• 4 Replies

jambop

Gone eco crazy
« on: April 27, 2021, 11:02 »

Just been thinking through my garden watering procedure and have taken the decision to make more use of brown water for the garden. I have a 5m x3m x 1.5m unlined pond at the bottom of my garden which I have taken water from from time to time. The problem is that being below soil level every time I raise a bucket full of water I am lifting 20lbs and it is tiring especially when the weather gets hot. So I have bought a submersible pump to lift the water.  I am also considering a liner which would stop the soak away effect and make the water last much longer. I am also buying another 600 litre rain water collector and will join it into the two I already have this should give me a good chance of not having to use my auto watering system that uses tap water too much ... just wish I had spent a bit less on the auto system now  :lol:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Gone eco crazy
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 22:40 »
Good luck! It occurred to me that it might be worth ensuring there's a filter on the water going into the pump, if there's a risk it might get clogged up with debris from the waste water.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

jambop

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 08:18 »
Good luck! It occurred to me that it might be worth ensuring there's a filter on the water going into the pump, if there's a risk it might get clogged up with debris from the waste water.

Yes there is a pre filter for the pump although it does say in the specs that debris of up to 25mm dia can be coped with I was thinking that we do get newts and some other aquatics in the pond so it would spare them. There does have to be some balance as to how much water I extract you cannot lay waste to the wildlife! There is always some twist when it comes to being eco friendly on the one hand fresh water is saved on the other wildlife could be harmed. In dry summers the pond does dry out naturally so if this happens I am going to completely redo it and maybe make it a bit deeper and put a liner in which should help prevent water loss.

jezza

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 23:00 »
Hello if it' takes 25mm stuff through it  check it isn't a masserator pump with a blade in it I have one but had to take the blade out when we needed to empty a pond as there was newts in it we made a strainer out of a mesh pond basket   jezza

jambop

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2021, 19:43 »
Hello if it' takes 25mm stuff through it  check it isn't a masserator pump with a blade in it I have one but had to take the blade out when we needed to empty a pond as there was newts in it we made a strainer out of a mesh pond basket   jezza

No the pump is just that no blades involved but you are right don't want to pump out the newts  :D

xx
Crazy to do it now?

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post May 10, 2008, 20:29
by Ruby Red
clip
Crazy Rhubarb

Started by Plot 1 Problems on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 22, 2017, 21:00
by greenjay
xx
Crazy Brambles

Started by Shamps on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 25, 2009, 21:23
by Shamps
xx
Crazy Weather !!

Started by Sleepingpopman on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 25, 2023, 09:48
by Hampshire Hog

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 44 queries.