Just got back from holiday and found...

• 2 Replies

HLS

• Experienced Member
Just got back from holiday and found...
« on: August 20, 2009, 11:12 »
Good things:

- There's been some rain while I was away, so everything's still alive except the mangetout which were coming to an end anyway. 

- The potatoes I left in the ground seem to be OK (with excellent timing they got blight just before I left, meaning that I spent a rather panic-stricken hour chopping the tops off instead of packing) with only a few damaged ones. 

- Some of the beans were a bit larger than they should be but they seem to be still edible and I now have half a carrier bag full plus some in the freezer and lots more to come.

Bad things:

- I'm pretty sure two out of three courgette plants have got mosaic virus - the leaves look pretty characteristic and the fruit (three accidental marrows) has gone all lumpy.  That means I'm going to have to get rid of them, doesn't it?  Anything I should do to protect the remaining one?  And I presume the marrows are OK to eat?

- I'm a bit nervous about my tomato plants which are going a bit yellow and brown around the bottom leaves.  I'm hoping that this is just down to insufficient water (I did ask the neighbours to pop round if the weather was dry but I wouldn't expect them to water every day) and food, though.

- Next door's apple tree seems to have ripened early, meaning that my lawn and borders are full of rotten fruit and are smelling rather alcoholic and I've missed my chance at eating them for a second year running.

- Two bean canes are now being held up by the plants, instead of the other way round.  This should be fixable with string and determination, though.

Trillium

Re: Just got back from holiday and found...
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 22:03 »
 :D Next year you might want to substitute 2x2's for the canes and you won't have to worry. As for the toms, at this time of year most lower leaves are dying off as part of the natural cycle so not to worry unless you see the fruit also going strange.

HLS

• Experienced Member
Re: Just got back from holiday and found...
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 13:39 »
I think I might try a Munty frame next year.  Either that or longer canes and more string!

I'm keeping a close eye on my tomatoes.  Fingers crossed...

xx
back from two week holiday

Started by smellykipper on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 28, 2013, 19:40
by smellykipper
xx
Going on holiday..

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 17, 2013, 17:39
by RJR_38
xx
What do you do with your plants when you go on holiday?

Started by mikew4895 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 21, 2012, 18:00
by Trillium
xx
Holiday potatoes

Started by brianc on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 08, 2014, 13:08
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.519 seconds with 39 queries.