Okra

• 14 Replies

MrsMak

Okra
« on: March 18, 2007, 17:15 »
Has anybody grown these?  I was given some seeds for Christmas, and I like a challenge, so I sowed them indoors last week.  Blow me if they aren't the first thing to come up, despite not soaking them in water as suggested in a book I looked at after sowing!   :D
On GQT today, someone asked the same question and the answers weren't too encouraging.  Even in East Devon the feeling was they won't come to anything outside, so I was thinking of using a cloche - the kind that's like a mini polytunnel.  Has anyone tried this, and have you any advice.  Also I've just been given some aubergine seeds - do you think they'd be happy in the same cloche?
Would-be organic but still learning!

WG.

Re: Okra
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 17:19 »
Quote from: "MrsMak"
Has anybody grown these?  I was given some seeds for Christmas, and I like a challenge, so I sowed them indoors last week.  Blow me if they aren't the first thing to come up, despite not soaking them in water as suggested in a book I looked at after sowing!   :D
On GQT today, someone asked the same question and the answers weren't too encouraging.  Even in East Devon the feeling was they won't come to anything outside, so I was thinking of using a cloche - the kind that's like a mini polytunnel.  Has anyone tried this, and have you any advice.  Also I've just been given some aubergine seeds - do you think they'd be happy in the same cloche?

A cloche won't work since okra is a rampant climbing vine.   If you can spare greenhouse or conservatory space, then let us know if you get a crop.

muntjac

Okra
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 21:54 »
if you search okra i have described how i grew them .i got some good feeds of mine
still alive /............

MrsMak

Okra
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 18:21 »

A cloche won't work since okra is a rampant climbing vine.

Doh!  I should have known that!  We're not allowed buildings on the allotments; OH has offered space in his greenhouse at home, but I rather like the tomatoes we usually grow - can't see him having room for both!
if you search okra i have described how i grew them .i got some good feeds of mine

Thanks, Muntjac!  I'll check that out - and I'll let everyone know how I get on.

cynthialilly

Okra
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 19:07 »
MrsM, I have grown Okra in the past.  Actually as I am from the Windies, they are widely grown in gardens using what you call the 3 Sisters method, under planted with pumpkins or sweet potatoes and beans twinning up the Okra plants.  

In this country I treated them just like I did my Aubergines/Tomatoes and put them out-doors in large pots when it was warm enough ie towards the middle/end of May in Somerset.  They are not vines but 1.5 m tall plants with flowers similar to those of the hibiscus shrub.

MrsMak

Okra
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 22:42 »
Thanks, cynthialilly.  That sounds useful!  As I am in East Devon, I suspect our climate is not that different from yours, so I'll give the big pots a try.  Our garden is north facing but has some sunny spots, so might try there rather than the allotment.  The lotty is quite exposed, so was very hot last year, but also dries out quickly.

Thanks again.

noshed

Okra
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 22:43 »
They are a bit slimy though, aren't they?
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

WG.

Okra
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 22:54 »
Quote from: "noshed"
They are a bit slimy though, aren't they?

That's what makes gumbo ... well ... gumbo.

muntjac

Okra
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 23:46 »
dip em in egg n then in cornmeal n deep fry yum yum... or did i say athat afore? :lol:

muntjac

okra flower
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 16:31 »
found the pic i was looking for aggy

agapanthus

Okra
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007, 17:18 »
Really pretty Munt :)....did you grow them under cover?

shaun

Okra
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2007, 17:22 »
it dont look legal  8) is that why you paint your glass house tommy ?
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

agapanthus

Okra
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2007, 17:34 »
That is definitely legal :wink:  :roll:  8)

muntjac

Okra
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2007, 23:15 »
yeh i grew some outside in the front border as wel and they did ok i got about 30 fruits of each plant if you cut them more will come ,i paint my houses cos i dont and wont use anything eose cos it harbours bugs and also it gets damp n then mould sets in more easily matey .white out for the glass is much better in my book :wink: im gonna order some seed this weekend  wil be putting a few in with some squash seed i got from a nice lady they will grow together and play nice  :wink:

olyfrankel

White / transparent egg like structures under the leaves of
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2007, 09:21 »
Hi - can anyone help?

I am growing a couple of okra plants on my windowsill (indoors).

There are now 3 sets of leaves but i have noticed these egg-like things under the leaves.

They fall off easily when touched, and feel quite hard.

At first I thought they were water droplets but now they have multiplied to cover most of the underside of the leaves.

They have not spread to anything else -  yet!

Haven't seen any whitefly around so don't think it's that.

Can anyone advise?

xx
okra

Started by gobs on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 14, 2007, 14:33
by muntjac
xx
okra

Started by kellycontina on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 09, 2015, 06:07
by ghost61
xx
okra

Started by janette on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 26, 2010, 17:32
by prakash_mib
xx
Okra

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 23, 2013, 21:20
by Mark's Sussex Allotment

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 38 queries.