Planting potatoes in the autumn

• 8 Replies

Anton

Planting potatoes in the autumn
« on: November 05, 2022, 19:34 »
I was just reading this article (see below). Has anyone on the forum tried this?

Anton

Seed Potatoes for Fall Planting

You won’t find seed potatoes at nurseries this time of year, so you will need to come up with your own. If you don’t have some little sprouters left from your summer harvest, you can prep and plant small potatoes from the market. Before planting, let the potatoes sit in a warm, well-lit place to green up for a few days. Green skins on potatoes are evidence that the tuber has equipped itself with bitter solanine compounds that make it unpalatable to critters.
“Autumn
Small potatoes from your summer crop can be planted in the autumn

Whether they are large or small, keep potatoes whole when planting potatoes in the autumn. Cut potatoes are much more likely to rot or get eaten by voles compared to whole potatoes. Spring-planted potatoes grow so fast that cutting does little harm, but potatoes planted in cold soil should be left whole to give them the best chance at survival.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Planting potatoes in the autumn
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2022, 19:39 »
People have tried planting spuds for Christmas, but the advice usually is to do them in pots so that they can be brought into a frost-free location when it gets colder.  They usually plant earlier than November, if memory serves me right.

As for re-using one's smaller seed spuds, the general advice is not to do so, for risk of re-introducing viruses.

But others may have another view for spuds at this time of year.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Anton

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2022, 19:49 »
Thanks for your reply Yorkie.

Later on in the article it says:

Why not just let the volunteer potatoes grow? Leaving potatoes to grow in place sets the stage for soil-borne diseases to develop, and here we are talking about potato problems like nematodes and scab and pink rot that never manifest when soil is given restorative breaks between potato crops. Potatoes that are intentionally planted in autumn get a fresh location and time to settle in, a win-win strategy for a nice little crop of summer potatoes.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2022, 20:45 »
While that may well be right, about the break from bugs by moving location, there's still the issue that spuds are not frost-hardy. So any foliage will be killed off by frosts and, if you have heavy freeze the tubers might also be killed off.

The reference to 'fall' in the early part of your quote, leads me to suspect that it's written initially for an American audience??

Anton

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2022, 20:54 »
Yes, it was apparently for Americans. It says that as long as the temperature is below 10 degress C the potatoes won't start to germinate. The idea is for them to start growing in early spring.

Anton

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2022, 21:33 »
But as you surmised it is probably for American states where they don't have severe winters.

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2022, 13:15 »
when we went to Dobbies  garden centre, the other week they had seed potatoes for autumn planting, we never bother with autumn planting, but I know some of our fellow gardeners do plant autumn potatoes hopefully to harvest for their Christmas dinner grow in tubs in a poly tunnel, but I have to say I am very reluctant to grow my own saved seed potatoes always buy fresh seed

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2022, 14:23 »
If you want new potatoes for “Late December” use, try PFAs (Pink Fur Apples), they're a main crop potato with the taste and texture of a new potato.  They will store until spring in a cool, frost free place . 

We grow some every year.

Anton

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2022, 15:31 »
Thanks for all this advice.

Anton

xx
Autumn planting potatoes - why not?

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 28, 2018, 18:17
by DHM
xx
Autumn Planting

Started by Scrubby on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 14, 2008, 21:18
by SnooziSuzi
question
Autumn planting veg

Started by Bertie9491 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 30, 2022, 07:42
by lettice
xx
Autumn Planting

Started by MyAchingBack on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 02, 2012, 21:02
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 44 queries.