Hi everyone

• 4 Replies

Willba

Hi everyone
« on: May 31, 2011, 21:43 »
Hi everyone, my wife and I are new to this very interesting site and we are excited about joining you all.We have had an allotment for one year and are just into our second year. We have a problem with our early maris bard potatoes.  The first plants we dug up produced lovely potatoes, but the subsequent ones we have dug are full of thin white worms which are pink inside.  They lie in a circle until disturbed when they straighten out. We think they are cyst eelworms but have not found anything to prove this is what they are. We need to identify them and then need to eradicate them (if this IS possible). Any information would be much appreciated.  

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: Hi everyone
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 21:49 »
Hi Wilba and welcome

This can be a problem when you grow on what was previously a grassy area, but wireworm can and does come back now and again/  Have you any pics?

I'll pop this into GYO for more answers.
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Fisherman

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 22:11 »
Hello Willba
Cyst eelworms are extremely small so I guess as peabod suggests they could be wireworm although these tend to be a creamy, rusty colour about an inch long.

Pics definitely needed.

Willba

Re: Hi Fisherman
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 22:28 »
Yes need to get pics. In the meantime, these are thin, clear worms about 1 cm long, their insides pink thread-like, appear round then uncurl. Thanks for your help.

JohnB47

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 23:02 »
It may not be eelworm (which might actually be good news).

After reading this post I googled for potato eelworm and came up with this site that says:

"The tiny eelworm itself is visible only with a microscope and even that is difficult since it lives inside the roots of the plant."

http://www.fedaga.org.uk/node/126

Could it be the early stage of a wireworm I wonder?

Page created in 0.381 seconds with 34 queries.