Kale what's it for?

• 11 Replies

Janeymiddlewife

Kale what's it for?
« on: August 02, 2009, 09:08 »
I have planted 2 rows of dwarf green curly kale. They are growing rapidly, so
which leaves do I pick, and what do I do with them?
Will they last through the winter - they're about 18 inches high
Thanks

Nikkithefoot

Re: Kale what's it for?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 09:19 »
Cut off the lower leaves as soon as you feel they are a good size. Leave three or four leaves on the plants to grow on. I've been harvesting my kale weekly for three or four weeks now. If you leave them longer the leaves are bigger (obviously) and have a stronger taste.

I cut out the middle rib, roughly chop, steam and toss in butter to serve........yum
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 09:26 »
kale is a brassica so just use it like greens in winter trim the central vein off and chop the rest like cabbage.  it's lovely and strong flavoured; full of iron. 

I never harvest anything from mine until after the first frosts; that way they will have put on sufficient bulk to last the winter when there's not much else around, and you only take some of the younger (not the youngest) leaves from near the top/middle of the plant.  You'll know these because come winter the new leaves will be so abundantly curly, yet the older one's will have opened out somewhat.

If you like a dark cabbage you'll love kale

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 09:40 »
I just grow it for the chickens and they will only eat the tenderest leaves if there is nothing elsse on offer  ::)

maxie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 14:50 »
Its good for adding a bit of green to winter soups.

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 15:01 »
I just grow it for the chickens and they will only eat the tenderest leaves if there is nothing elsse on offer  ::)

Thanks for all the info btw and thanks peapod for moving it - I did wonder if it was in the "wrong"  place!   

I knew there was another reason to persuade OH I should keep chickens - next door neighbour has just got 4 from her DIL;s school - they hatched them and she's had them from teeny. I have offered to be surrogate mum when they go away to see what it's like - as soon as the boys outgrow the area where the trampoline is on bark chippings & damp proof membrane ........ah, that was where the greenhouse was going when dad no longer wants his...........hmmmm plan B then.....   what is planB???????... :D

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 15:57 »
No question the best way to eat kale is Colcannon

Steam kale for 10 mins and chop up.
Slowly soften an onion in butter until soft and sweet.
Add onion and kale to mashed potatoe with as large a knob of butter as your waistline will allow.

Eat huge plateful on its own, or with ham, bacon or corned beef.

(If you've boiled the meat, you could cook the kale in the water when you take the meat out to rest)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 16:07 by LivvyW »
Liv.

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 17:03 »
ooooohh that sounds yummy livvyW - sadly OH is on low cholesterol diet which means very little red meat  :(

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 20:05 »
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm!  i'm not on a low cholesterol diet!! I'm gonna try that one; thanks Livvy!   :happy:

Beetroot queen

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 20:49 »
We put in 20 plants of kale ages ago and have harvested loads, we dont seem to be able to slow it down  :blink:

I am getting to the point where I have had enough all ready  :wub:

Debz

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 10:59 »
I like it chopped up and cooked in a tiny bit of oil in the frying pan.  It goes a little crispy on the edges like seaweed from the Chinese.

KarooPaul

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 09:33 »
Mine seems to be for the exclusive use of cabbage whites and flea beetles  :tongue2: Every evening I get home and squish loads of eggs and bugs, to the extent that next year I will attempt to keep everything under cover all season. Looks like a shot gun blast to everything at the moment but am hoping that they'll survive into the autumn and winter. I have Sutherland, which is deliciously sweet, and Tuscan black.

Early crops were wonderful, as were later pickings steamed or briefly boiled and then fried, as others have said. The very young leaves can be used as salad too.

xx
Kale?

Started by maxie on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post August 15, 2013, 11:02
by maxie
xx
Sea Kale?

Started by Learnerlady on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 26, 2022, 16:14
by Learnerlady
xx
Kale

Started by gilesi on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post June 29, 2015, 19:38
by LandShark
xx
Can I fix kale?

Started by Raven81 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 01, 2012, 11:18
by Raven81

Page created in 0.403 seconds with 35 queries.