Tinsel has a poorley eye help!!

• 11 Replies

matilda duck

« on: December 06, 2008, 11:33 »
Let all the girls out this morning and whilst they were out checked on them all......Eyes, beaks, feathers, the usual.....This is when I noticed Tinsels eye...

It's got bubbles coming out of it like frothy clear bubbles if that makes sence..  

I've put her in the other hen pen away from the others until I know what I am dealing with..  She is eating but is a bit hunched up..... Also I noticed some mites running on her like a brown colour I am presuming these are straw mites.....Whats the matter with my big girly?????

Vember

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 12:22 »
Hi Sam

Did you get her at the same time as Holly??

Does she have a funny smell around her nostrils??
Only asking because bubbly eyes can be a symptom of mycop as I said before in Hollies Thread :(
Somebody with more experience will no doubt be along shortly & tel you I'm giving you nightmares again  :wink:   :lol:

Is it possible to get her to a vets??

As for the mites have you had a look at the sticky?
http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=5250
Might help you identify the critters so you can take the best action :)
Lice I have had experience of and if you look around the vent area you can normally see them scurrying around also they lay eggs at the base of the feathers.

It's for these reasons I always keep new birds quarantined for at least a week :(

Sarah :)

matilda duck

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 13:43 »
Hi never had time to read the reply I had a light bulb moment when I posted this topic...I ran outside looked at her and shouted Bl***y Myco- watsit!!!!

Ran in the house and phoned the vets who after being in shock after I asked do you see chickens ???  Said come straight up!!!  Well its a 10 minute trip...so I popped her in my wicker basket and raced up there!!!!  The vet was fantastic she loved tinsel and said it made a change on a saturday to see something a bit different...

She checked her over and showed me the mites am I NOT happy :twisted:.  None of my others have them and Ill be Bu****ed if 2 new ones are going to infect them.....

Any way shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted  Holly and Tinsel are now in Quarenteen in the coup we were selling :roll:

THIS IS NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN AGAIN!!!!

Oh yeh vet bill come to £29 but shes worth it!!!!!!!!!

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 13:59 »
Well glad the vet is getting her sorted.

Hope she makes a speedy recovery.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Vember

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 14:17 »
Glad you managed to get her to a vet MD :)

Get better soon Tinsel x

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 15:53 »
£29 thats not bad really.

Did she give you anything for the mites and was it mycoplasma ?

I've done a lot of googling over the last few week because of Breakfast's sneezes and foamy eye. From what I gather they never get rid of it, even with the antibiotics they remain carriers and can still infect the rest of your girls.

Vember

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 19:09 »
The other thing with mycop is that it can be passed to chicks through the egg so you shouldn't breed with birds that have it :(

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 19:37 »
Quote from: "Vember"
..... you shouldn't breed with birds that have it :(

I beg your pardon !!!  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  

:wink:

matilda duck

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 20:41 »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

It was mycoplasma!!!!!  I got something right :D

£29 wasn't bad at all I was expecting more especially with it being Saturday lunch time........Nothing for the mites, told me to get some spray for her (poultry sheild), but want's her to get better first before I traumertise her more...   Lets just say If I ever get anymore chickens it won't be from that place!!!!!  Somewhere I must inform john and tell him to take that place off!!!!!  No-one should go there!!!!!!!! :twisted:  :twisted:

Foxy

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 23:02 »
So glad you got it sorted! Sounds lke you got in there early too! :D I am sure she will be OK.
I get sooooo angry with some breeders out there!  :evil:

matilda duck

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 22:09 »
Tinsel is much better today.  All the water from around her eye has dried up and her eye is back to normal.  She has perked up so much!!!  

I sent John a PM about the place I had her from, and he has taken them off the list of suppliers.  I know it's too late for me but I would hate anyone else to be delt a raw hand.  Anyway if nothing else I feel better :twisted:  :twisted:.    Thanks john       thanks everyone for all your help and advice with my new girls.....   (A hard lesson learned). :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

Foxy

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2008, 22:28 »
Lovely news! So glad she is feeling better :D

xx
poorley eye

Started by treecol on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 16, 2015, 18:54
by grinling
xx
poorley orpington

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 26, 2012, 19:40
by yacks

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 40 queries.