chicken proof plants

• 11 Replies

andy46

• Experienced Member
chicken proof plants
« on: July 25, 2012, 20:56 »
as a new keeper of chickens my plants are taking a bit of a battering does anybody know of any chook proof plants i could put in the garden   
Pull up a perch!!

lmpd

• Experienced Member
  • peas & love
Re: chicken proof plants
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 22:58 »
I asked the same question on here last year and I can confirm that even if they don't like it - they will still tear chunks off it until it gives up. The only exceptions are things like woody shrubs and ivy, which they seem to leave alone.
However, I think you might have some joy with those trees that you see in garden centres, the ones that are a ball of foliage on a metre high stick!!! :D

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 08:35 »
I asked the same question on here last year and I can confirm that even if they don't like it - they will still tear chunks off it until it gives up. The only exceptions are things like woody shrubs and ivy, which they seem to leave alone.
However, I think you might have some joy with those trees that you see in garden centres, the ones that are a ball of foliage on a metre high stick!!! :D
They will still jump at the foliage! Mine picked off all the blossom on the lower branches of my fruit trees ::)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

jhub

• jane
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 11:29 »
Even though I fenced off my veggie beds they managed to get in and destroy everything- twice!
First time they flew over so I raised fence and re planted, next time they dug under. Now I have a walk in run with perches and shelves at different levels and they aren't allowed out during the growing season.
In an ideal world I would have a garden sufficiently large to have a dedicated chicken plot but I value my home grown produce and flower beds so this is my compromise.

yacks

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 12:33 »
My girls ate everything in my garden and boy I had some plants out there ... They figured that if you get high enough and jump you get the branch and pull it off for others lol very clever girls . Honey suckle took a beating but now behind greenhouse ... The only thing to survive was cordaline, and couple of tall shrubs. Locked in a big run now so starting again with plants as long as kids don't leave gate open x

kegs

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 15:12 »
Are certain breeds less destructive?  My hybrids ruined everything in sight within days including leaves off of hedges and trees.  Whereas my Faverolles have been out in the garden and haven't touched any of the plants (including a vegetable patch!).

andy46

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 21:47 »
Once again thanks for the advice think i may concreat everything lol!!! will see what i can get to fill the lovely gaps up andy

Pixieswift

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 21:46 »
Well im laughing out loud at this topic especially when i read impt re the tall plants on sticks  :lol:
Im certain hybrids are the worse my garden is TRASHED and it was so beautiful i have a big herb garden well did have...also a lovely vegtable patch with nothing left my girls must have thought i am very good to them leaving them lots of veggies to eat, stand on and generally destroy!!! i have now decided its a thankless task chasing them around the garden with a stick telling them to STOP. i came home yesterday to find all of my peapods gone and the whole mint section destroyed its hard to stay mad when they run and great you after work still with mint leaves between there toes ;)
I do find however that placing stones or bricks around the root of plants stops them scratching down to the roots, but other than that as andy46 said the only thing that will stop them is a concrete garden. My bantams dont really scratch anything just my hybrids.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 08:50 »
feathered footed birds tend to do less damage with their feet scratching around the roots of plants.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Taylor40

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 08:55 »
Was sat at the top of my garden watching yesterday as my hens walked up and down between the drills nipping out the weeds. Never even looked the way of my veg and even ignored my lovely red strawberries.... Guess I should just enjoy the free weeding service while it lasts, sooner or later I'm sure they'll realize that the good stuff is right under their noses..  :lol:

Pixieswift

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 21:12 »
Enjoy it while it lasts, my girls dont even like eating the strawberrys they just enjoy pulling them off the plant... >:(

xx
Chicken proof plants???

Started by bob-the-chick on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 09, 2009, 16:05
by Roughlee Handled
xx
poultry proof plants

Started by wildwitchy on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 22, 2009, 00:24
by Stree
xx
chicken proof flowers

Started by robbiechick on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post November 27, 2011, 17:30
by Tony H
xx
How to build a predator proof pen and how to wash a chicken

Started by eneville on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 12, 2013, 20:22
by grinling

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 40 queries.