Chicken proof plants???

• 1 Replies

bob-the-chick

Chicken proof plants???
« on: May 09, 2009, 14:35 »
Hi all,

Well, I'm now into month 3 of chicken keeping and getting a steady 8-10 eggs a day from the 10 Amber Stars that we have. They are now incredibly tame and trusting birds!

I have them on a bank at the back of the garden as you can see from the photo. Problem being, this bank that was covered in  thick deep grass has now become either a mud bank in the rain or a dusty arid bit of land in the sunshine. They have managed to scratch up everything including the roots of the grass.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding planting out this bank. I'm on a pretty limited budget but would like the girls to have more of an exciting environment, and one that would attract a few more bugs and grubs than the current terrain!

I as thinking alpine plants or wild grasses that wouldn't get pecked away to nothing within minutes of planting :-)

Many thanks!!

IMG_4543.JPG

Roughlee Handled

Re: Chicken proof plants???
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 16:05 »
Firstly how big is the run? Secondly there is nothing really that is chicken proof.  You could sow this grass seed http://www.thegrassseedstore.co.uk/500-poultry-grazing-pasture-p-309.html but you would have to move them off of the area that you have sown for at least a month may be two. 
Correct me if I am wrong but is there a busy road behind that fence?   You have a very low chicken wire fence.  Chicken wire and especially large whole wire, (which you have) gives no protection at all from a fox attack.  I lost my first chicken with in the first two months to a fox. 
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

xx
chicken proof plants

Started by andy46 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 28, 2012, 21:12
by Pixieswift
xx
poultry proof plants

Started by wildwitchy on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 22, 2009, 00:24
by Stree
xx
chicken proof flowers

Started by robbiechick on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post November 27, 2011, 17:30
by Tony H
xx
How to build a predator proof pen and how to wash a chicken

Started by eneville on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 12, 2013, 20:22
by grinling

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 36 queries.