Advantages if any onion sets/seeds?

• 18 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Advantages if any onion sets/seeds?
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 20:16 »
I don't think this year is turning out to be a very good model for what might or might not work in future years (not many of my crops have performed as I would usually expect, although I have to say it's far from being all bad news.)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

simonwatson

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011, 22:19 »
For me it's sets all the way and the reason for that is how much time they take. Push them in at 6 inch or 4 inch centres and leave them to it. bit of weeding, but not much and jobs a goodun.

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2011, 10:15 »
 I have grown both sets and seed this year. Don't know my experience applies to other people but here the sets are done and dusted (the ones I planted in modules early are a really good size, those I didn't aren't particularly - a couple bolted), but my onions from seed are still growing - they aren't yet as big as the largest ones from set but they are a good size (none have bolted so far). So for me I will grow both again as it has extended the season for me - I don't have to worry about being too stingy with the ones I grew from sets as in a couple of weeks I'll have a load more. :D

Having said that, none of the onions have grown as large as the overwintering ones I grew from sets - they were quite surprising, none bolted as I grow at home and could keep them watered during the dry spell. Still have several chopped up in the freezer for winter use. I thought they would come to nothing as they kept getting pushed up out of the ground - I must have replanted them 3 or 4 times over the course of the winter. ::)

moam1

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2011, 11:18 »
I plant my seeds on Christmas day in a tall deep plastic box.  I keep them indoors till the second week of March, then they go in my Polly tunnel untill the first week of April.  Then into the ground they go lost a few but 95% did very well.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 11:23 by Aunt Sally »

xx
Onion Seeds or Sets?

Started by GardenShed on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post January 12, 2014, 17:13
by Trillium
xx
onion sets or seeds

Started by shaun on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post October 20, 2006, 13:23
by muntjac
xx
onion seeds or onion sets!

Started by toptonk on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 15, 2007, 17:24
by yummy
xx
Onion seeds versus sets

Started by Henwoman on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post January 24, 2011, 17:00
by DD.

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 39 queries.