New Ground

• 11 Replies

bobw1956

New Ground
« on: July 31, 2012, 13:39 »
Hello All.

I,ve just taken posesion of a new allotment plot,the plot had been used as a cricket pitch in the past,(it has not been dug before)

My question is ;Would it be advisable to remove the grass sod ,before rotovating,or rotovate the grass in.

As you can see I,m a novice :unsure:

Thanks in advance

Kleftiwallah

Re: New Ground
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 13:54 »

Rent yourself a lawn cutter/remover and slice off the pitch into strips then squares all the same size.

Find somewhere out of the way and stack your turfs green side to green side then brown side to brown side.  Securely cover with a dark plastic sheetLeave for a couple of years.

When you come to open up your prize, you will have what gardeners call loam and this is the basis for John Innes type composts. 

It is fabuloso!

Cheers,    Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

bobw1956

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 14:04 »
Thanks for you speedy reply,and knowlege :D

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 18:20 »
Just a warning to expect wireworms for the first few years.  They are prevalent in former grassland and love eating spuds.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Ivor Backache

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 22:43 »
Bear in mind that this land has been rolled and rolled and rolled for years.
It will be very compacted and the fertiliser will be just nitrogen for the grass.
Growiing season is well under way so concentrate on getting it right for the new year.
I agree -skim the turf but stack it in a square perimeter.
Fill it with kitchen waste, leaves, horse manure, newspaper-anything vegetable based.
To get the soil right you may have to incorporate compost foir the next 3 years.
I doubt if a rotovator will work properly. Be prepared to hand dig for the first year.

Kirpi

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 01:11 »
another approach would be to build up lasagne layers of browns and greens and let the whole heap cook down over winter and plant into it in spring.

The earthworms would come up through the layers and till the soil underneath for you. The grass would rot underneath without you haveing to dig any of it - simple.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 01:18 »
Sounds great Kirpi, but let face it. There is nothing 'simple' about setting up a large plot!
Thats a lot of work for a whole plot (in gathering the mats alone), but is certainly worth incorporating somewhere and repeating over the course of the year.

The turf gathering and Yorkies advice about wireworms are spot on.  I have heard to plant a few half cut spuds to draw the wireworms to a designated area away from where you want your next years potato crop, but have never tested it as Ive never had them.  Anyone else have experience?
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

fatcat1955

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 08:20 »
Why not grow mustard as a green manure this year, it is supposed to cut down on the amount of wireworms and will enrich the soil when dug in.

Kirpi

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 23:41 »
@ peapod. I look back on my first year on my plot and wish I had known about lasagne gardening back then instead of scalping off the whole area and waiting for turves to rot down. Would have saved me a lot of work and backache - though I do admit, collecting the lasagne materials can be a problem at first.

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 02:04 »
@ peapod. I look back on my first year on my plot and wish I had known about lasagne gardening back then instead of scalping off the whole area and waiting for turves to rot down. Would have saved me a lot of work and backache - though I do admit, collecting the lasagne materials can be a problem at first.

me too I spent 2 days a week all winter digging out twitch grass and we have loads of manure on site.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

bobw1956

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 19:31 »
Ok guys some very good advice and i will take on board,all of it.

but pray tell what is "LASAGNE" materials  :unsure:  :blush:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 20:26 »
Sounds great Kirpi, but let face it. There is nothing 'simple' about setting up a large plot!
Thats a lot of work for a whole plot (in gathering the mats alone), but is certainly worth incorporating somewhere and repeating over the course of the year.

The turf gathering and Yorkies advice about wireworms are spot on.  I have heard to plant a few half cut spuds to draw the wireworms to a designated area away from where you want your next years potato crop, but have never tested it as Ive never had them.  Anyone else have experience?

Hello  :D  Me, I am queen of the potato kebab treatment for wireworm  :lol: :lol: Works though, and if you take out every one you see when you are digging too, you are home and dry  ;)

Bobw, can I suggest you also draft out a plan for your plot, as you don't want to spend ages cultivating soil where you are going to have a shed, for example?

There are lots of different approaches to working your plot, and some appeal to each of us more than others.

I have wood edged beds (with bark paths lined with weed membrane) which started out as level with the paths, but two years later are beginning to be more full, thanks to all the compost etc I have been able to add. They are almost rasied beds now  :D

Others favour a no-dig approach, or traditional rows.

Either way, you choose what suits you and they all enable veg to be grown.

The only other advice I would offer is that the health of the soil is what determines how well your plot performs over time  ;)

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

clip
Can these go into the ground?

Started by al78 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 07, 2013, 00:22
by al78
xx
Anything I can put in the ground now?

Started by redj on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 28, 2012, 13:27
by Daamoot
xx
What to get in the ground first?

Started by ConfusedGardener on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 07, 2014, 19:00
by ConfusedGardener
xx
What should i get in ground??

Started by samnorfolk on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 07, 2013, 05:26
by surbie100

Page created in 0.387 seconds with 39 queries.