new to growing veggies.

• 2 Replies

thebumbles

new to growing veggies.
« on: January 19, 2011, 18:14 »
Hi

This may be a strange question but here goes.  I  am hoping to grown my own veggies this year, and have been allocated the area where this could be.  The area is near the septic tank, was wondering if the veg would be OK and edible if the soak away water from the tank gets to them. Logically, the soak away is alot deeper than ther veggie roots  but when the soil gets saturated  could it be a problem. Don't want to risk it, or dig the area over now and find out later its a no go. :unsure:

bigben

Re: new to growing veggies.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 09:36 »
Would raised beds be a bit safer? At least there is less chance of pulling up stuff that has been sitting in the soakaway water. Perhaps best to do a bit of digging and see what the soil is like - it may be a no go.

gillie

Re: new to growing veggies.
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 10:07 »
In dry weather you can sometimes see exactly where the channels  draining the septic tank are, or they show up as 'crop marks' of extra growth.  I once grew sweet peas in such an area.  They were enormous - ten feet tall at least!  

Perhaps it is not the best place for root vegetables, though I would not be too bothered about leafy crops, provided the septic tank is not liable to overflow.  

I have also placed a temporary cold frame over the tank itself.  All that !!! and bath water generates a bit of extra heat.

I forgot to say:  Remember that you will have to leave access for the septic tank emptiers, their long hoses and their big clumsy boots.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 15:04 by gillie »

xx
Dog poo and growing veggies

Started by elrosco on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 20, 2010, 22:16
by Elcie
xx
growing above ground veggies

Started by onthebeach on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 05, 2010, 19:28
by DavidT
xx
is this a bad year to be growing veggies for the first time?

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post July 30, 2013, 13:23
by BobE
xx
We have veggies!

Started by tosca100 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 02, 2014, 19:26
by Beetroot Queen

Page created in 0.409 seconds with 34 queries.