Carrot and beetroot germination

• 12 Replies

greenhead

• Experienced Member
Carrot and beetroot germination
« on: July 09, 2019, 17:02 »
Hi,  I have tried three times to get rows of the above to germinate on my plot but so far to no avail. 

What am I doing wrong?  Soil is fine tooth along the rows seeds placed 10mil deep on a bed of seed compost and lightly covered - like I always do,  waters with a fine spray along the rows every 2 days.  Germination is about 5%, fresh seed used.  Had my plot in Worcester for 15 years and had no problems till this year.  Are the seedlings been eaten before I spot them - slugs wood pigeons? or what!

Will try once more - am I too late?

Mike. 

snow white

Re: Carrot and beetroot germination
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 11:51 »
did you put slug pellets down, because it sounds like the slimy creatures. :(

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 18:50 »
did you put slug pellets down, because it sounds like the slimy creatures. :(

Definitely a strong likelihood as tiny ones eat the germinating seedlings before they put their heads up above the soil surface. Adding some pellets in the row as you sow, as well as a very thin scattering along the surface of the soil around the drill might help. There are some available which are not so damaging to other wildlife

The other possibility is that the soil,, despite your care, is too dry. Try soaking the drill well an hour before sowing... really, really well, not just a dribble, and then lightly water the compost you put to line the drill before sowing. Cover carefully but also add a thin layer of dry soil as this acts as a barrier against evaporation. Press down gently all along the drill with the palm of your hand to make sure the seeds are in good contact with the damp soil
If there is no rain, for a couple of days, water the soil alongside the drill, not directly on it, both sides. The reason for this is that as wet soil dries, it can form a hard layer (called capping) and seedlings may not be able to push their way through it.
If the weather is scorching hot and you can't dey sowing until it is cooler, shade the soil surface with something like a double layer of debris netting
I hope that helps

And no, it is not too late for either carrots or beetroot to be sown  :D

« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 18:52 by sunshineband »
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Lottiegob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 21:26 »
Thanks both (I am greenhead's partner) very useful information.  We have grown carrots successfully for over 12 years and this year has caught us out!    Must have carrots. Capping may be the culprit. So we'll follow your suggestions for watering :)
I'm queen of my own compost heap and I'm getting used to the smell.

Dev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 22:37 »
I've had very poor carrot germination, despite putting slug pellets down, on two different sowing times. I can only think that dryness is the problem so just sowed some Autumn Giant and hope to get a reasonable sized crop by winter. As for beetroots, I always sow four seeds in two inch modules and then plant them out and that has worked again this year. The plants push each other aside, and you can pull the biggest by twisting them out.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 08:16 »
I've had very poor carrot germination, despite putting slug pellets down, on two different sowing times. I can only think that dryness is the problem so just sowed some Autumn Giant and hope to get a reasonable sized crop by winter. As for beetroots, I always sow four seeds in two inch modules and then plant them out and that has worked again this year. The plants push each other aside, and you can pull the biggest by twisting them out.

This works very well for beetroot, Dev  :D

Carrots do not like root disturbance and it makes them grow funny shapes. Shame really  :wacko:

al78

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 08:44 »
I can hardly ever get carrots to germinate, even by digging a furrow, filling with multipurpose compost  and sowing into that, and applying slug nematodes beforehand. I've come to the conclusion that trying to sow anything direct outside on my plot is a waste of time and money, so I shall continue getting my carrots from the local market.

MarkC

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 09:17 »
I had the same problem with turnips this year. Ended up only getting germination at third attempt. Beetroot in next row were fine. I put it down to either defective seed (old packet) or soil too dry. Didn't help that we had such a cool and dull  but dryish June here.

Longshanks

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 11:23 »
I built a box for carrots and filled it with sand, compost and topsoil. I sowed some carrots and waited and waited....... Nothing. I planted surplus seeds in a spare patch of soil and hey presto, they've all come up.

I also sowed some beetroot in nice neat rows - nothing. But the surplus I sowed around the edge of my leek plot all come up.

Moral - just sow surplus seeds.LOL.

Hobovore

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2019, 23:45 »
I sown carrots into old loo roll holders that I had saved and then planted them into the ground with the loo roll holder. Pulled one up today to have a look. They appear to be doing just fine.

Count Basil

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2019, 14:06 »
I’ve not nearly the same experience of success, as I’m in about my fifth year at growing stuff. But I love to eat carrots and dread to sow them. Last year I just sowed packets and packets of them and that seemed a good tactic! I’ve just started an experiment of sowing in modules. Inch wide and 2 inch deep. Early stages now but I’m loving the extra control it gives me.

greenhead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2019, 11:06 »
Thank you for all your comments, have re-sown both carrots and beetroot, soaking seeds beforehand and watering either side the drills to avoid capping.  Unfortunately I can only water once a day during the working week as my plot is 2 miles in the wrong direction!  Will report if there is success  :)

Mike.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2019, 17:03 »
Once a day should be just fine

Fingers crossed for you now

xx
Carrot germination

Started by whippersnapper on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 21, 2011, 21:50
by Gandan57
xx
Carrot and parsnip germination

Started by AnneB on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 15, 2013, 22:58
by TheWhiteRabbit
xx
Carrot germination time?

Started by sharky on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 08, 2009, 22:06
by peapod
xx
Pre-germination - answer to carrot fly?

Started by bayleaf on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post January 08, 2011, 13:41
by digalotty

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 52 queries.