run flooring ,help needed please

• 10 Replies

terri

• 1st egg
run flooring ,help needed please
« on: May 28, 2011, 22:40 »
we are building a bigger run and it will have a roof but me and my oh can not decide what to do about the flooring ,iv read that sand is a good choice what do you think or use for your hens advice much needed please  :wacko:
4 children, 1 hubby, 2 g,pigs, 1 gecko 3 hens, 2 fish,2 cats

gracie

• Experienced Member
Re: run flooring ,help needed please
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 09:27 »
We have soil in one area, slabs in another and sand under the coop. We are away this weekend so I bought a roll of turf from b and q as they won't get out to free range whilst we are away. It lasts a while then I turn it over and they live the underside of it as well. 

Fisherman

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 09:58 »
Grass in summer and move the run when the grass gets worn / trashed. Builders sand in winter and then re sow with grass in spring.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 10:03 by Fisherman »

terri

• 1st egg
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 15:08 »
moving the run wont be an option as its a great big walk in one with roof,they have had the run of the place but  id like to keep them in the run during the day while im at work then let them out in the evening as
at the moment they are free to roam but my garden is allways coverd in poop i clean it everyday usually brushing up the patio and flagged area a few times and rake the grass over once a day and try to hose down everyday as i have two little children as well that use the same garden to play in most days if im off work or when they come home from nursey so id like to be able to go out and play with them not spend an hour brushing and cleaning before they can come out too
i will still let the hens out in the garden later just wondering what you all find the best floor for a fixed run

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 18:55 »
We plan on using soft wood chips in part of our run. I have read this is good as the hens cam still dig. Make sure that if you choose this option you don't buy hardwood chips as they are sharp and can cause foot problems.

Jacinta

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 19:23 »
Hello, i also have a fixed run and asked the same question.  I use soft wood chips on top of earth, it was about £9 for two large bags at B&Q and covers all of my 12'x6' run. They love a good dig about in it and poo just disappears.  I use Stalosan F every 6 weeks or so to kill off any nasties and build up of disease, just sprinkle it about and give it a rake through.  I plan on renewing the chips every 4-6 months and scattering it on the garden, with built in fertilizer.       

eggbertina

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 23:29 »
We have a fixed run for our 3 hens as I love my little garden.  One section next to their coop is covered for shelter and the other is open.  They scratched the grass away ages ago to a fairly solid earth base.  We cover this with Aubiose or Hemcore (same product, different manufacturers), available from equine suppliers.  As the name suggests it is the core of the hemp plant.  It smells lovely/aromatic, is very absorbent and doesn't harbour bugs.  A layer about 2cm thick, which starts off as a big pile in the middle and they rearrange to their liking within minutes!  As they kick and scratch through it every day the poo gets absorbed and worked into it.  I throw a few scoops of fresh stuff on top every few days or as needed and then do a big clean once a fortnight - or month - depending on weather conditions.  I clean all the old stuff out and it goes on the compost heap.  I sprinkle diatomaceous earth over the floor before putting down the fresh pile of hemcore as I think this helps prevent against lice as the birds love to scuff about in the hemcore having a sort of dustbath!  A large bale of Aubiose or Hemcore is around £8.50 and we've used nearly two bales since last autumn - so pretty good value!  Oh, and the other thing I do is throw all my grass mowing cuttings into the run, which the chooks love.  It all gets mixed in and eventually all ends up on the compost heap.  We use wood shavings in the coop and nest boxes which also smell great, poo picking each morning to keep it all clean and fresh.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 01:37 »
I've been building up layers in the heavily-trampled areas of the run.  (My hens free-range all day in the yard, but they have a pen and coop too.)

I already have well-drained soil, but the first layer I added was sand to improve the drainage even more.  Then I added pine needles off the neighbour's Christmas tree for the next layer.  After that I added macadamia leaves, which are quite tough and leathery. 

In mid summer I pulled a lot of long, dry grass and spread that around.  Since then I've been progressively adding leaves from various deciduous trees.  It's autumn here now, so I have an on-going supply of leaves. 

The only layer I had to pay for was the sand and I've been very pleased with the results.  It's dry underfoot, the girls keep everything turned over with their scratching, and all the layers are gradually breaking down into a rich, friable soil.

Of course if your soil is poorly drained or boggy to start with you might have different results.

OpiumEater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 07:53 »
I have a small run on earth with soft wood chipping so they can scratch and dust bath, and that's in a compound with concrete floor which they like to poop om first thing in the morning. This is easy to clean, quick scoop and hose. They also free range in the garden when I'm there.

I don't use grass cuttings or long grass due to concerns about impacted crop, and let them pick their own grass when free ranging.

Did consider gravel, but chippings working well at the moment.
Alice - Australorp
Bernadette - Barnevelder
Dora - Silver Grey Dorking
LilliBet - Cream Leg Bar

terri

• 1st egg
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 14:07 »
thanks for the replys   :D
might try the sand to help with drainage when it s wet with another layer of woodchips on top

elainehas3hens

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 18:04 »
Hi.. I'm no expert but have wood chippings in my run.I have a Eglu with a 3 metre run and it sits on the grass (well don't think there's any grass there now). I don't buy them from any DIY place, I just ring round tree surgeons and ask. So far I've paid £10 for a ton bag and it was delivered, and the last time I was able to just go and shovel my own from the tree surgeons yard (this cost me nothing). The quality varies.

xx
What flooring should I use in their run?

Started by stujem on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post November 06, 2011, 07:58
by ehs284
xx
what flooring for the run

Started by sued on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 27, 2008, 16:48
by sued
xx
What to use for flooring

Started by stujem on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 24, 2011, 02:35
by hillfooter
xx
Run Flooring

Started by SurreyLass on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 03, 2011, 15:57
by grumpydad

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 38 queries.