Can anyone help - what breed are my bantam hen and cockerel? Photos attached

• 6 Replies

Button Moon

We bought a bantam cockerel and hen last summer (around £8 each), but not sure what breed they are. The cockerel has feathered legs, the hen has a couple of feathers on her legs, and both chickens have back toes that point upwards rather than being horizontal (so they are not usually used for walking or for perching). The hen is white with black feathers on the tail and around the neck, and lays large eggs for her size! Photos attached.

Does anyone know what the breed is?
Picture 007.jpg
Picture 022.jpg

jhub

• jane
not too sure but is the cock bird a dorking and the hen a light sussex?

Casey76

Sorry can't help you there but both are very pretty (sorry to the boy for calling him pretty!)

jhub, I dont' think the boy is a Dorking.  Dorkings have 5 toes, and the cock in the photo has 4 toes and a well developed spur :)

The hen could be a LS cross, but I don't think she is pure LS - the hackle feathers look to be more spangled than "laced", and LS don't have white ear lobes

Button Moon

Thanks for the suggestions! I was wondering if they had some Dorking / Light Sussex in them. Was hoping they were a pure breed but I suspect they aren't. Speaking of toe number, yes both the bantams here have 4 toes, but we have bred the bantam cockerel with some of our hybrid hens (goldline, speckled star, black star and white star - which all have 4 toes) and the resulting chicks have ended up with 5 toes! Not sure if this is some sort of deformity because of the hybrid hens being very inbred, or because the cockerel carries genes for 5 toes (from having some Dorking in him?). Apart from this the chicks are normal!

jhub

• jane
Sorry can't help you there but both are very pretty (sorry to the boy for calling him pretty!)

jhub, I dont' think the boy is a Dorking.  Dorkings have 5 toes, and the cock in the photo has 4 toes and a well developed spur :)

whoops- looked like 5 toes on left foot on first inspection....

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
Your white one looks identical to mine! She's apparently a mixture of white sussex and something else that I have completely forgotten the name of (so not very helpful sorry!)
Prada and Alessi.jpg
4 Dogs: Stanley, Oscar, Borris and Scraps, 8 chickens: Prada, Mulberry, Alessi, Apple, Dior, Bobbi, Eve and Fendi, 2 Guinea Pigs: Rupert and Milo, 3 Rabbits: Louis, Daisy and Charlie 2 Fish: Sandy and Pebbles, 6 Quail

wildwitchy

I'd say your cock bird is a old english bantam silver duckwing.

http://www.poultryhelp.com/sdoepics.html

xx
bantam cockerel advice please

Started by eggbertina on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 30, 2011, 16:52
by eggbertina
xx
bantam pekin cockerel

Started by bramford on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 08:18
by Casey76
xx
Anyone want a Bantam Buff Orpington cockerel?

Started by mickwood on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post November 09, 2008, 16:20
by goldfinch
xx
Can we put a Silkie Bantam cockerel with hens?

Started by lizzydripping on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 21, 2009, 02:07
by nnbreeder

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 39 queries.