what flooring for the run

• 5 Replies

sued

« on: September 27, 2008, 08:02 »
hi everyone
I have had my ladies for about 7 weeks now, my hen house and run have been built on the patio outside my house. Up until now they have been let out in the garden everyday when I get home from work at 4.00pm until bedtime. I have been hosing down the run and cleaning the house out every week but now think it would be much nicer for the girls if we put down bark chippings in the run. How often would you expect to clean out a run with this on the floor if you had it at say 3" deep?.
still waiting for eggs!
sue

compostqueen

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 08:43 »
About once a month I'd say and after that is starts breaking down to fine stuff which when wet gets real messy. It can go longer if we get some fine, dry weather. I cover the Eglu run to try and keep the bark dry. They free range all day but their food is in there and all the scratching about soon reduces it to powder.  I rake it regularly as they seem to pile it all up at one end  :roll:

Some people keep them on  chunky gravel chippings

Bodger

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 09:01 »
I wouldn't set a time limit on it. You'll know when it needs sorting from the smell and its appearance. Get a water proof top on the run and it will make your life far easier.

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 10:50 »
I think Babe goes for a very deep bed and it lasts several months, albeit over a large area. I hope I've not misremembered.  :)

It partly depends on how much you can invest at the outset and how good the drainage, etc.

Rob 8)

smiler43

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 11:59 »
Hi, I use wood chippings from B&Q, heard on forums not to use bark as it contains mould spores which can affect their breathing.  I put a layer on the run floor and replace when it starts to break down and smells, about once a month  :D

sued

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 16:48 »
Hi,  thanks for your replys, I did not know not to use bark chippings and am really glad I read this as I am just about to go to BandQ now as I have cleaned the house and run ready for the new flooring. The run has a roof of plastic corrogated see through stuff to let in light but keep my girls dry in the winter. I was told keeping it dry would keep the smell down as well :lol:  
when I have finished I will try to get some photos to show you the finished result
sue

xx
What flooring should I use in their run?

Started by stujem on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post November 06, 2011, 07:58
by ehs284
xx
Run Flooring

Started by SurreyLass on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 03, 2011, 15:57
by grumpydad
xx
Run flooring

Started by Rasco on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 13, 2010, 14:34
by DannyBoy230
xx
Run flooring

Started by Chippet on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 29, 2012, 22:25
by Geo

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 35 queries.