my poor mummy chicken is getting attacked my my other hens

• 1 Replies

nic n dave

i put my chicken bk in with my other 2 after recently separating her to have chicks but they wont let her out the coop to eat or drink they keep attacking her, and even when shes in the coop and they are out side they still go into her to have a go. i know they have to re establish their pecking order but its brutal, should i remove one of my bully hens for a few days to give her a fighting chance? so the bully looses its place? i mean they are both hurting her but one more than the other so may if i remove her?

Helenaj

Re: my poor mummy chicken is getting attacked my my other hens
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 13:51 »
Remove the main bully, this will give your girl a chance to resettle. Don't be tempted to take her out instead as she will only have to start from scratch and it prolongs the fighting. If any blood is drawn, make sure you have purple spray to hand to disguise the blood or it will only encourage the other hen to peck more.

It is brutal, but this is how they sort it out - just stand guard and make sure she doesn't get a pasting. Make sure there are plenty of feeders and drinkers dotted about (even if it's only a bowl), to ensure that she get access to food and water.

You can re-introduce the bully in a couple of days and if she starts again, hook her out again. she'll soon get the message that bully = segregation.

good luck!

sad
My poor little sonic the chicken attacked by family dog, will she live!

Started by detox on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post September 16, 2009, 19:09
by Rubellite
xx
Feeling like a bad hen mummy, please help me and my hens!

Started by RosiesWalk on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 13, 2011, 21:36
by RosiesWalk
xx
New chicken mummy to be

Started by Barn owl on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 04, 2013, 17:14
by Barn owl
xx
will our 9 week old chicken be ok with no mummy? :0(

Started by rosie14 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 18, 2011, 22:22
by rosie14

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 38 queries.