Mains or battery

• 5 Replies

SusieB

• Experienced Member
Mains or battery
« on: October 22, 2011, 18:01 »
I have just lost a chicken to the fox in the middle of the day.  I am very disappointed, I don't know if I want to keep chickens if they can't roam the garden.  Even if I'm in the garden , he could nab them, if they wander to the other end.  Two chickens left tho', so I am going to see how I get on with electric netting.

Can anybody tell me the pros and cons of battery/mains powering?  The fencing will go within 3 or 4 metres of the house (and a plug socket).

And do I have to buy the exact length.  I am not sure yet of the set up and would rather buy longer than I will probably need.

bantam novice

Re: Mains or battery
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 19:09 »
It is usually a good idea to plan on wanting to increase your flock.  You can buy extra lengths of electric netting quite easily in 25 m lengths so you can join them together. 

Mains power - gives more of a reliably strong kick but you are stuck with one area.

Battery power you need to check and re-charge the battery regularly but you have a great deal of flexibility about where you keep your hens as the netting and energiser are easy to move around.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 19:16 »
Thanks.  If I buy 50m and I only need 30m, can I leave the extra ravelled up , or do I have to cut it?
And is the charging a weekly or daily thing? (I suppose it depends on the battery)

Goldfinger

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 19:59 »

I'm no sparky, but if you go down the battery route, could these people help in some way to keep your battery topped up instead of keep removing it to be charged??

http://www.sunshinesolar.co.uk/khxc/gbu0-display/splash.html

Our in-laws have something similar in their caravan window to keep their batteries topped when it's in storage / not used etc.

bantam novice

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 20:02 »
I am not an electrician either but I would think you could roll up surplus netting without cutting it.

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 08:17 »
If you have the option I would go for mains. You get a constant reliable kick from it. Also it is less hassle and cheaper to run. You can still move a mains net around but obviously you have to consider the  electric cable. The netting comes in 25 or 50 meter lengths. You could keep any unused rolled up but it would need to be supported in such a way as to not be shorting on the ground or any herbage. There is only a small difference in cost between the two lengths. Good luck :) :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
car battery

Started by Thompson24 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 09, 2009, 08:46
by poultrygeist
xx
ex battery hens

Started by primrose1 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 29, 2011, 17:20
by JACDORE
xx
BATTERY HENS

Started by KIM200 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 13:04
by Viv
xx
Broody ex battery hen

Started by linzechris on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 13, 2009, 11:52
by slurp

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 37 queries.