Flighty RIR

• 8 Replies

wildfowler4

Flighty RIR
« on: January 18, 2011, 19:29 »
Our recent addition to the flock (we only have 5) has always been a more adventurous than the new Leghorn since we got them a couple of weeks ago. She was always looking up at the fences and I could tell from then than we could potentially have a problem. Our garden is above 50x50 and they have free run of it. We have 5ft/6ft fencing all around and at the back of the garden my neighbour has a new outbuilding which is the width of my garden and about 9ft high. Anyway last week my wife and I were sitting down drinking coffee and tea when I looked outside our patio doors saw our RIR on top of my neighbours outbuilding. It was a bit of a shock but not surprising. :ohmy: I knew how to get her attention as when I go outside they all come running to me. I went outside my utility room and shook the box of corn the RIR jumped off the roof but went into my other neighbours garden. I could hear her rosey loudly. She eventually made it back over the fence. She actually came back over the fence panels that are 6ft high.
I decided action needed to be taken. I looked up how to clip her wings and done so straight away and have not had any issues since. I will keep an eye on her wings for growth so as to keep her in check.
Strange thing though is that after clipping her wings she laid her first egg later that day and also has laid nearly every day since. Maybe the clipping has settled her down a bit. No more foreign adventures  :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Flighty RIR
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 20:06 »
I hope you only clipped one wing - this is so it unbalances them  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

wildfowler4

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 21:00 »
I clipped both. Does it matter?

Tigerwren

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 22:22 »
Rookie mistake there I think Wildfowler as the whole point of clipping the wing (not wings) is to leave the hen unbalanced so that it can't fly.  You might well find that as you clipped both, she still has her balance and can therefore fly.  I am not sure as I haven't got enough experience with this, but I think that's probably why Joyful asked.  Not to worry, they grow back eventually when they moult and you can give it another go  ;)

joyfull

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 22:46 »
correct tigerwren  :)

wildfowler4

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 08:28 »
Thanks all for the advice

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 08:55 »
I'll be interested to know if the RIR can still get over a 6 ft fence (or onto a 9 ft building) with both her wings clipped.  I know the idea is to just clip one so she is unbalanced, but by clipping both surely her flying ability will still be reduced?

How old is the hen?  I've also heard that as they age and get heavier in the body, they are less able to fly than younger birds simply due to body weight.

Do let us know whether she sets off on new adventures, wildfowler.

joyfull

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 09:14 »
her ability will be reduced but not as much as by clipping just one wing  :)

wildfowler4

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 13:38 »
She is only 26 weeks old. Since the clipping she has not managed to scale any of the fences though I will be keeping an eye on her. All the others I have are not clipped so if I do them I will ensure that it is only 1 wing :-)

xx
Flighty Polands!!!

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 07, 2008, 16:16
by bedifferent
xx
flighty chicks

Started by massa on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 06, 2010, 10:29
by jaxchucks
xx
Flighty bird

Started by Andrew4613 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 24, 2011, 08:53
by Lewjam
xx
Flighty chicks, wing clipping?

Started by jo40 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 13, 2009, 07:15
by Roughlee Handled

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 39 queries.