rain rain rain

• 3 Replies

nzdunn

rain rain rain
« on: August 20, 2009, 09:40 »
Well over here in northern ireland we have had constant rain and humid temps for wot seems like ages now it is rather depressing, i just get a bit worried about my girls, they have had to endure so much rain lately im worried there gonna get colds, there house is full of straw but they sometimes go to bed soaking wet, there are plenty of places they can shelter out of the rain but they choose not to, strange girlies i know.   Yesterday was particulary bad the heavens opened all afternoon and when i went to lock them up last nite they were wet, i think one may be getting a bit of a runny nose but it was hard to tell wot with water dripping of them, ive been adding garlic to their water yesterday and today, is it ok to mix garlic and ACV together in their water.   Nickyx

Flowerpower136

Re: rain rain rain
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 10:02 »
Up in Lancashire, on the hills, it is wet, but at the moment, it's also warm and windy, so if the the girls get a soaking, they soon seem to get blown dry again.  Definately makes for fluffy feathers.

I use both ACV and garlic powder in their water, and they seem to like it.  Not sure if I'm using the right quantities however :unsure:

For 4 ltrs of water I put in 60 ml of ACV and a good heaped teaspoon of garlic powder.  I'm using a small dose of ACV as a general do gooder, and the garlic specifically because I was told it reduces the smell of the poo.

Have to say, the run has a slight 'chickeny' honk to it, but it's not unpleasant, so maybe it's working.

Is it possible to rig up a taupaulin for them so they've got a bit more shelter?

nzdunn

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 11:01 »
As for doses well i just bung it in ???, ive put out an old plastic garden table/chair set they seem to like going under there, thing is also everytime i walk past the kitchen window they come legging  it over and stand under the window, my fault for bunging them treats out of that window, gees wot have i created, cheeky mares where eyeing up my toes last nite, i have yet to be pecked and dont want to be.   Thanks any for the advice about the two i will mix in them both tomorrow.  nickyx

littlewitch

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 11:16 »
Hi flowerpower,  We've rigged a small tarpaulin over part of our run for our girlies - gives them shelter from sun ( :D  :D - when we do get any!!) and also from the rain ( which like you we've had lots n lots - saying  round here is -'you don't get a suntan in South Wales, you get rust!!  :wub:  :wacko: )
Seems to work for our chooks tho.

question
Rain,rain and more......what is the best surface to keep chickens on?

Started by mad mark on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post May 23, 2009, 21:13
by Sopho
xx
Rain?

Started by lightyears on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post October 23, 2009, 19:44
by alisonwo
xx
Rain

Started by New Hampshire lover on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post May 28, 2008, 15:09
by compostqueen
xx
rain...

Started by Sarah J on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 11, 2008, 20:10
by too many girls

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 38 queries.