Rain,rain and more......what is the best surface to keep chickens on?

• 21 Replies

mad mark

• Experienced Member
With the constant rain here in Derbyshire over the last week or so my chicken run which has a couple of flags in and a load of bark chippings is like a scene from the Battle of the Somme. Any suggestions from you experienced chicken lovers out there? The chickens seem to be surviving, though look very mucky now! They are laying okay and I have put some clear carpet protector over the run to keep the feeding area dry. :( Bring on this good summer that I keep hearing about......
 8)
Mad Mark

Vember

Is there any way you could cover the entire run MM? May be with corrugated plastic?

Sarah :)

mad mark

• Experienced Member
Bit pricey to buy....may use some more plastic sheeting if I can find some more as its still due to rain until the weekend off and on, April showers!!!
Do chickens suffer if they get too wet? They have a 12 x 6 foot run plus the 6 x 5 garden shed also to go in so will survive I guess......My veggies are too precious to let them free range. 8)

NigelB

• Experienced Member
    • Pictures from the garden and greenhouse..
Do you think it might be worth putting a couple of perches in the run Mark? An old branch maybe. Just something they can perch on to get their feet out of the mud if they feel the need?

Mine have the luxury of a metal shed they can shelter in. I erected it originally to store their bales of straw and sacks of food in, alongside things like charcoal for the bbq and stuff.
They still look pretty miserable when it rains though. I doubt anything will change that.  :nowink:

andreadon

• My Diary
ours has plastic sheeting on it - got a massive roll from travis perkins at a very reasonable price.
 :D

karlooben

i had a major probelm with mud in my run until i put in tons of wood chip /bark its worked a treat an we have had to much rain as well it stayed almost mud free .

but i aint waiting for the summer i have heard its going to be a very very hot summer which aint always good news especailly for animals  :( .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

mad mark

• Experienced Member
They do have a couple of perches and a concrete slab that they can escape on to. Will get down and get some polythene sheeting ready for the British summer..... Cheers to all hope we need the shades soon. 8)

Sopho

Mine have a covered area and perches and dry bits but they still choose to stand in the rain!! Silly birds!
I was thinking of corrigated plastic but I was concerned that it would get too hot! The weather we have been having can be throwing it down on minute and quite warm sunshine the next ...

Is over heating for chickens more of a worry than getting wet?? 

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Mine are completely free roaming, but they do have an ifor williams cover off the back of an old land rover to go under if it rains but they never use it. They either go under the shrubs or just stand out in the rain, completely oblivious to it.
Staffies are softer than you think.

compostqueen

I made mine a temporary winter shelter from two straw bales and two lengths of see-through corrugated plastic which I'd got to make a tomato house  :D I made a top and a back. They like to see what's going on at all times (nosey beggars)  Because they used it through winter and seemed to like it so much I've left it in place and they absolutely pelt into it when it rains.  It's got chipped bark on the floor as has all their run, some of which is covered with a green plastic tarp (from the army stores which I nicked off my son  8)  They need some dry areas as if they have prolonged spells of water up to their ankles they're not going to remain healthy. If they were free ranging they'd sit in the trees and shrubs  :)

mad mark

• Experienced Member
Might put a large box or little shelter in the run as they seem to thick to go back into the shed when its pelting down, worried they might have to stay in there or something....... Will put a bit of tarp or plastic on the top and see how we go. It will probably be blown away with the high winds and gales of showers we are getting at the moment.....Hey ho... Do chickens get foot rot if they are in water too much? Can they swim?

When will the sun shine? 8)

compostqueen

I think they could get foot problems and colds if left constantly wet. They like comforts as do we  :D  Keep them happy and they'll keep laying  :D

Well, it's not raining now so a brief respite at least  :)  I think Sunday is going to be fine. I hope it is as I'm having a yard sale. Erk

mad mark

• Experienced Member
Yard sale.....where is that I've got a garage full of junk I could bring it round and flog it off.
Yep the rain has stopped briefly but the dark clouds are hovering over Bakewell again....

poppies

Hi

Dont be tempted to put straw down we did this it was great at first, but now it acts like a sponge even a light shower and it's  wet again, we have had to move all the coops to another area - oh and the stink when the sun gets on it luckily we  have no neighbours

compostqueen

If you had a yard sale in Bakewell you could clean up  :D  You could replace the word "yard" though for something more in keeping with the general poshness of the place.  "antiques sale" f'rinstance  :D   

Still not raining, it must be at least an hour now  :tongue2:

xx
Chickens in the rain

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 24, 2009, 19:12
by nzdunn
xx
chickens in the rain

Started by Dominic on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 15, 2011, 18:39
by evie2
xx
Do chickens like the Rain???

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 29, 2010, 17:41
by stan deakin
xx
Do chickens like rain?

Started by Mrs S on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post June 13, 2011, 19:51
by shetan

Page created in 0.357 seconds with 39 queries.