So what time do you call this then!!!

• 9 Replies

kattcottrell

• Experienced Member
    • www.funkychickengifts.com
« on: May 28, 2008, 09:13 »
Call me stupid (it wouldn't be the first time) but I thought hens popped out their eggs in the morning after breakfast. Since getting my 3 hens the oldest has rewarded us with an egg every morning at about 11am, she's like clockwork, into the run after a peaceful nights sleep, then she dines al fresco until full, a bit of preaning then up to the coop for a mid morning rest and to lay an egg. Well yesterday she didn't bother to go up at her usual time and so I thought she was having a day off, but about 4.30pm yesterday she disappeared into the coop and came back out half hour later, when I went down to check she'd laid an egg.

What time do everyone elses henny's lay their eggs?
Katt

poultrygeist

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 09:20 »
I think the hen's egg cycle takes over 24 hours to complete, presumably excluding any tea breaks, so they do well to lay every day.

Yesterday we had 6 eggs presented before 10am. First time in a long time but their original 'Mum' grannieannie had visited them so they must have been on best behaviour.  :)

We sometimes get 3 or 4 early on then another 1 or 2 sometime later.

Depends on many variables.

Rob

Porffor

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 09:52 »
:lol: mine are yet to lay... so it'll be interesting to watch and learn.. learn from the thread and then watch what my girls do! ;)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 09:57 »
Awwww, Rob, do you think they laid early because they knew I'd scrounged some eggs off you????? lol

Ours do vary, sometimes we get eggs really early. 6 or 7am, but usually 1 or 2 will wait until after lunch, but since the change in weather, we are only getting 4-6 a day instead of our normal 9 or 10!!!  The young lady up the road said the same, she has 5 of our Amberlinks and the ady in a farm down the road who sells eggs reckons she's not getting ANY at the moment!!!!

Still, we must remember they are not machines eh????   I've got a goldline at the moment going broody!!!!!

poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 10:04 »
Quite right Annie. They only lay if they're happy and who could be in this weather ? Except the ducks.

I reckon they thought you were going to rescue them from the prison camp we keep them in !!

Rob

blulagoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 10:14 »
Like porffor, mine are not laying yet. About another 10 weeks I would imagine!

kattcottrell

• Experienced Member
    • www.funkychickengifts.com
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 11:21 »
it hasn't stopped raining here for 6 days, poor things look so miserable huddled together under the shelter, even though there's cover over the run the floor is sodden, don't know what to do about it, they're on grass but i think I might go and buy some bark chips to sprinkle over, it might soak up some of the wet :cry:  wish they would take shelter in their house but they don't.

Porffor

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 12:09 »
Quote from: "blulagoo"
Like porffor, mine are not laying yet. About another 10 weeks I would imagine!

I'm hoping mine are truly POL - well you never know the age when you buy animals.
So fingers x'd i don't have to wait 10 weeks..  :?

peggyprice

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 13:21 »
WHEN mine lay  :evil:  -  Jean the Welsummer is the most reliable, she lays virtually every day but sometimes morning, sometimes afternoon.  

Dorothy the Warren USED to lay every morning early, regular as clockwork - and then eat her egg every morning early, regular as clockwork.  Since she's had her specs fitted she hasn't bothered to lay at all.  

Celia was laying most days till she stopped altogether - she's started again now it's raining, so I'm not going to complain about the weather  :!:  - pretty much at any time she fancies.

And the two youngsters are still thinking about it ...

Flippin' birds  :roll:
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

compostqueen

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 15:04 »
I don't let mine free range til they've laid their eggs.  I keep mine in the Eglu run til they lay their eggs, from 7.30 ish onwards to about 11.00 am ish. Then when all three have laid they get let out, usually by 11.30 pm.  That was the advice I read on here - I think it was here.  They were a bit earlier this morning so were allowed out to wallow in mud which they seem to enjoy. They won't go under the shelter preferring to stay out in the horrible drizzle. They're filthy :roll:

xx
What time do you call dusk

Started by slop jockey on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 11, 2010, 21:18
by slop jockey
xx
What can I call my eggs ????

Started by poultrygeist on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post March 19, 2008, 16:14
by Foxy
xx
help with Call Ducks

Started by The Flock Master on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 13, 2012, 13:41
by The Flock Master
xx
call ducks

Started by Thompson24 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post May 31, 2009, 10:49
by Thompson24

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 38 queries.