scab on pototoes

• 4 Replies

crowndale

scab on pototoes
« on: August 01, 2009, 08:09 »
Last year my spuds were riddled with wire worm and had a bit of scab on them.  theis year no wire worm but they are so scabby they look inedible without peeling about half the spud away, don't taste that good either.  the earlies were gorgeous and not scabbed much but the maincrop are awful.  can anyone tell me what causes this on spuds and what can I do to prevent it happening?  don't want to waste the entire crop but they're not going to store well and I grew enough to eat through the winter.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Beetroot queen

Re: scab on pototoes
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 08:28 »
One or two of my maincrop were scabby and I did a google while on the plot.  :lol:dont laugh its been a very handy thing having the internet, it has saved me making many errors.

I came across a site that said the soil is too limey and then someone else saying they needed to add more grass clippings next year. This wise lot will probably tell me thats all wrong, which I am hoping they will if it is as I would like to know for next year.

It also said they are fine to eat

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 10:42 »
Scab is worse in limy soils. It is also worse if the crop is dry just after the small tubers have formed. Plenty of manure will help to retain moisture and make the soil more acid.

Many soils get overlimed. This does not matter too much on clay soil but on light soil it certainly gives more scab.

Some varieties are more resistant than others. See potato council website http://varieties.potato.org.uk/menu.php

It is common scab and not powdery scab that you are interested in.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 10:56 by Salmo »

crowndale

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 21:48 »
well, I did heavily lime last eyar for brassicas, but then its also a very ehavy clay soil, and had loads of manure dug in!  but it was also very dry when the small tubers were formed.  so maybe just ry next eyar and see how it goes, its certainly the worst I have had this year.

bayleaf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 14:13 »
I think the variety you grow is important. Last year I grew two first earlies in the same bed alongside each other. One was excellent (Arran Pilot) the other was full of wireworm and didn't grow well (Maris Bard). I'm sure that local people to your area will know what grows well locally and what doesn't and this might help get round the scab problem. Certianly some varities are much more resistant to scab than others.

xx
Pototoes grown in pots

Started by wilj1 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 11, 2012, 21:48
by solway cropper
xx
How long can I leave my new pototoes in the ground?

Started by SweetPea on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 21, 2006, 09:19
by John
question
Is this scab

Started by gypsy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 12, 2014, 22:21
by gypsy
xx
scab

Started by meterman on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post July 25, 2009, 22:13
by meterman

Page created in 0.368 seconds with 36 queries.