Trouble with rats

• 7 Replies

Noslugshere40!

Trouble with rats
« on: May 06, 2024, 02:15 »
Hello from Wiltshire 👋
I’m having a problem with asparagus a rat has made a tunnel beside and underneath it. Is it worth moving it now? I’m worried if I leave it where it is they will eat the lot. I’ve got a large metal container that the rats can’t eat through would it be a good idea to plant it there?
Thank you in advance for anyone’s advice.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Re: Trouble with rats
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2024, 09:52 »
You could try breaking the rat tunnel up - maybe they'll move elsewhere. If the asparagus is attracting them, moving it to a metal raised bed probably won't stop them getting to it.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Bryan and carol

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2024, 16:05 »
We have serious rat problems, could be associated with people keeping chickens on the site, or maybe not.

Bird/hedgehog proof containers for rat poison do work, as does shooting the rats, but it's an ongoing struggle.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2024, 16:11 »
Rats love to live somewhere they can always get water, so allotments are popular because of all the taps and waterbutts around.  I worked in garden centres for quite a few years and you always get them there because of the same reason.

Our site has no chickens on it, but we still get rats around.  Luckily we are surrounded by houses and there a lot of cats that patrol the site, so they never get too out of hand.

I’d agree with John that breaking the tunnel up where you can get to it without disturbing the asparagus may well work.  You will need to keep doing though until they get the message.

steven c

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2024, 07:54 »
it might be worth checking what people are putting in compost bins we had a serious problem with a plotholder who was bringing over leftover food this caused a big problem with rats now sorted agree local cats do help i think part of the problem is allotments are quiet and un disturbed most of the time.
from bow like to grow

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2024, 21:08 »
Are you putting fertiliser on the bed? If so, which one are you using? Some can attract rats more than others.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

cc

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2024, 15:59 »
I eventually lost all my asparagus to mice they didn't eat them they just kept burrowing through the roots. I have traps everywhere for them. I will set up rat traps this year as I lost most of my sweetcorn one year to rats.
Neighbour has dozens of chickens so need to sort myself out in time.

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2024, 08:54 »
It's the chicken food that can attract rats. Maybe a Lee Enfield or a Martini Henry rifle wouldn't go amiss if you see any!  :tongue2:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Pea trouble

Started by Jake on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 13, 2007, 16:04
by Jake
xx
Trouble in Brussells

Started by anchorman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 28, 2022, 11:37
by Gardener and Rabbit
xx
rhubarb trouble ?

Started by spud1 on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 29, 2008, 20:59
by spud1
xx
potato trouble

Started by brianc on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 19, 2014, 09:33
by rubberfrog

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 36 queries.