Incredible Rocket and rocketing Incredible

• 4 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Incredible Rocket and rocketing Incredible
« on: May 08, 2014, 10:26 »
Despite reservations about the flavour of Rocket potatoes, and a nervousness about risking a sweet corn-less summer (:ohmy:) by growing Incredible F1 rather than the tried and tested Swift, I'm trying both this year for the first time.

The Rocket spuds were planted on 28th March, and have already been earthed up twice (completely covering them) but the foliage is now at least 6" above the soil again. I've read that they can be ready in about 8 weeks and I'm starting to believe it, although I'm now getting a bit fidgety about frosts!  :unsure:

The Incredible sweet corn seeds were soaked overnight last Saturday, placed on damp kitchen paper in a plastic box on Sunday morning, and were sprouting by Monday afternoon, so I sowed them in paper pots.
By Tuesday afternoon all but one had popped its head up, and as of today many of them are about 2" tall.
Incredible indeed (and maybe a little scary too!)  :lol:

Anyone else been taken by surprise by their high-speed veg this year?
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Jamboian

Re: Incredible Rocket and rocketing Incredible
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 11:10 »
Hi Jay! We done the usual thing we do and planted earlier than any sensible person would, been frost free so far even tho our rockets have been in since march 11th, they are so tall now we've nothing big enough to cover them without touching the halumn. fingers crossed eh! :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 12:10 »
My cucumber plants have been an amazement this year: they have many fruits already (Cucini) and one is about three inches long  :D.

Telegraph are taking their time, at fifteen inches tall with several small fruits  8)

Is it going to be a good cucumber year this year? she whispers, tentatively  :unsure:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 12:13 »
The old bloke next to door ( TOBND) used to grow rocket here, the sandy soil warms up quickly in spring and he could easily get 2 sowings in.

The tatsoi has come as a shock to me - it's mental, just show it compost and it goes nuts. The black Russian toms were also off to a flying start but have slowed dramatically in the cooler weather we've had recently.

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 14:59 »
My courgettes and toms have flowers  :ohmy: and some of the saved Queensland blue squashes are enjoying the wide freedom of the open cold frame already under a snuggly blanket of fleece they got so big so quick.
I think we are remembering last years cold, wet miserable spring.....maybe this is what 'normal' is  :D

xx
sweetcorn f1 incredible

Started by carlrmj on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 30, 2011, 09:49
by compostqueen
xx
incredible edible todmorden

Started by sunshineband on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 13:15
by sloworm
xx
Incredible Tomatoes, Heavy on pictures!

Started by Big Jen on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 04, 2008, 10:46
by Sadgit
xx
Sweetcorn "Incredible"

Started by freefolk on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 03, 2018, 17:51
by John

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 33 queries.